Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's He Worth?
The Houston Rockets owner had talks with the Coyotes about buying them & moving them to the Toyota Center

Nothing imminent, but please just pull the plug already!
Thanks given by:
I don’t buy that for a 2nd no way does Houston go from no NHL teams to having both the Flames and Coyotes. One of them has to go to Kansas or Quebec City.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-14, 12:00 AM)ZappaScores Wrote: I don’t buy that for a 2nd no way does Houston go from no NHL teams to having both the Flames and Coyotes. One of them has to go to Kansas or Quebec City.

If the Sens move, it's gonna sound weird cheering for Houston, Kansas or QC. Lol all these options suck, we need better locations for relocation
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Not sure what they will be signing for but if I am a GM, I am paying full value now. These players are going to all be in their primes for this current contract. Get the best years out of them now and let them sign for less than value or walk when a UFA next. The game needs to change to paying these guys and stop paying your UFA's who will live up to 3-4 years of their contracts.

Some will say but the cap, the cap is not an issue if the GM makes the decision to stop overpaying the UFA's. Stop rewarding players for the past, reward them for what you expect them to do in future.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-13, 10:03 PM)CTS Wrote: I'd give up 4 first rounders for Matthews!

Considering the Oilers don't seem to know how to use their 1st round picks you might be on to something there.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-14, 04:16 PM)Ryu65 Wrote:

Considering the Oilers don't seem to know how to use their 1st round picks you might be on to something there.

With what roster are you willing to trade 4 first round picks and pay someone 13+ million. and think that under that contract and that loss of future cheap skill would win you the cup?

The only team I could see it being viable would be Colorado and that would only work until Landi needs a contract. and they'd probably still have to shed Grub and one of there top 3 paid dmen. and i still don't think after all that they would be cup favorites.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-14, 05:50 PM)Sasquatch Wrote:

With what roster are you willing to trade 4 first round picks and pay someone 13+ million. and think that under that contract and that loss of future cheap skill would win you the cup?

The only team I could see it being viable would be Colorado and that would only work until Landi needs a contract. and they'd probably still have to shed Grub and one of there top 3 paid dmen. and i still don't think after all that they would be cup favorites.

My post was tongue in cheek, I would never support the idea of giving up 4 1st round picks unless it guarantees my team finishes top 10 in the league every one of those years. Think if the Oilers had traded 4 1st round picks for say Tavares or Stamkos back in the day they would have missed out on Mcdavid for sure.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-13, 10:36 AM)CTS Wrote: Mikko Rantanen:    $10 million
Auston Matthews:  $12.6 million
Brayden Point:       $8 million
Mitch Marner:        $10.5 million
Patrik Laine:          $10 million
Matthew Tkachuk:  $7 million
Sebastian Aho:      $7 million
Brock Boeser:        $6 million
Kyle Connor:         $5.5 million
Timo Meier:          $5.5 million

Yet Dubas thinks he can keep his team together!  We're all very curious as to how the hell he's going to do that

I actually think this is a pretty accurate list, but that Boeser is likely to command $7-8 million. His numbers are actually significantly better in his career than William Nylander's on a per game basis, and William essentially makes $7 mil.

The value of Brayden Point is really the most unpredictable salary in the game. I'm going to go ahead and say that $8 million/year is a fair estimate.

Also, I'm not so sure Marner will be in the 10's. Matthews is virtually a lock at $11-13/year. And sorry guys, he's worth it. McDavid and Mathews are to me the Gretzky and Lemieux of this coming era. Undisputed #'s 1 and 2 how ever you rank them. Pull up stats all you want, but Matthews is the only guy I can say for sure who will compete with McDavid for scoring titles and MVP's and I think that's what most people in the industry think.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-13, 10:32 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: 2019 looks to be the off-season from hell for a handful of NHL GMs with talented young forwards with expiring ELCs.
The McDavid, Eichel and Draisaitl deals have set the bar for guys coming out of their ELC as established stars. 

Pretty simple, just copy/paste and add in what you think their next contract will be. 

There are more, but I've only included the guys who are currently averaging close to, or better than a point per game. 

Mikko Rantanen: 9
Auston Matthews: 13
Brayden Point: 8.5
Mitch Marner: 8.5
Patrik Laine: 9.5
Matthew Tkachuk: 7
Sebastian Aho: 7
Brock Boeser: 7
Kyle Connor: 7
Timo Meier: 6

All a bit high and we can argue a mill here and there for the ‘bottom’ 5 but high because agents will want bank headed into a potential work stoppage and they will be projecting on a 80+ million cap. Contracts like LD and Connor were signed in a mid to high 70’s cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks given by:
(2018-12-15, 02:25 AM)Canucksfansince1989 Wrote:

Yet Dubas thinks he can keep his team together!  We're all very curious as to how the hell he's going to do that

I actually think this is a pretty accurate list, but that Boeser is likely to command $7-8 million. His numbers are actually significantly better in his career than William Nylander's on a per game basis, and William essentially makes $7 mil.

The value of Brayden Point is really the most unpredictable salary in the game. I'm going to go ahead and say that $8 million/year is a fair estimate.

Also, I'm not so sure Marner will be in the 10's. Matthews is virtually a lock at $11-13/year. And sorry guys, he's worth it. McDavid and Mathews are to me the Gretzky and Lemieux of this coming era. Undisputed #'s 1 and 2 how ever you rank them. Pull up stats all you want, but Matthews is the only guy I can say for sure who will compete with McDavid for scoring titles and MVP's and I think that's what most people in the industry think.

I think Jack Eichel has a little something to say about Matthews being the 2nd best player in the NHL
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-16, 10:15 PM)CTS Wrote:
(2018-12-15, 02:25 AM)Canucksfansince1989 Wrote:

I think Jack Eichel has a little something to say about Matthews being the 2nd best player in the NHL

Matthews ain't the second best player.  Not even sure McJesus is first.  

Sid is in the mix still.  MacKinnon having a great year centering the best offensive line in hockey.  Kucherov still flies under the radar? Really?

Barkov had himself a hatty vs. the Leafs the other night.  Hardly a bum himself.

Malkin forgotten?  Ovie washed up?  Matthews is damn good, but hardly alone as number 2 consideration.  I'd argue he's not even Top 5.

Sid, McJesus, Ovie, MacKinnon, Malkin.  Honourable mentions to Kucherov, Matthews, Barkov, Eichel, and Marner.
Thanks given by:
In what world is Crosby better than McDavid? Right now, today, McDavid is the BEST player on earth. End of discussion
Thanks given by:

Hey Sasq, 

Did you know that the Arizona/Phoenix Coyotes have been in the league since 1996... and since they arrived in the desert, they've had over 30 First Round picks.... and did ya know that in that same time frame, these Coyotes have won a grand total of 2... yes, 2 playoff series.

21 years in the league... and they've missed out on the playoffs, altogether , a total of 13 times.

If ever a team should just say... **** it and offer sheet a home town guy like Matthews, it's these guys. 

Obviously the Leafs will match, but at least you'll create some buzz for the team... and pissing off Leaf ownership might help ya out with other teams down the road... Muahahahahaa.

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-18, 05:08 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:

Hey Sasq, 

Did you know that the Arizona/Phoenix Coyotes have been in the league since 1996... and since they arrived in the desert, they've had over 30 First Round picks.... and did ya know that in that same time frame, these Coyotes have won a grand total of 2... yes, 2 playoff series.

21 years in the league... and they've missed out on the playoffs, altogether , a total of 13 times.

If ever a team should just say... **** it and offer sheet a home town guy like Matthews, it's these guys. 

Obviously the Leafs will match, but at least you'll create some buzz for the team... and pissing off Leaf ownership might help ya out with other teams down the road... Muahahahahaa.

Thing is if i was the Leafs i wouldn't match. if it was anything over 12 mil per i would let him go for 4 first round draft picks. Only player in the league i wouldn't take that offer on would be Mcdavid. You want a new dynasty sometimes its worth taking the short term hit for long term gain. 

Boston did that a couple years ago when they traded a few up coming contracts for first rounders they had like 3-4 and now they are still competitive with prospects coming in every year and performing. 

the current Toronto path has them competitive for years, but top 4 for maybe 2 years. if they were to lose mathews it would hurt, but if they retain Tavares, Marner, Kap, Nyl, Reilly. they can trade for another top 2 dman. but having 2 first round picks for 4 years..... good managment can turn that into a future Dynasty.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-18, 05:24 PM)Sasquatch Wrote:
(2018-12-18, 05:08 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:

Hey Sasq, 

Thing is if i was the Leafs i wouldn't match. if it was anything over 12 mil per i would let him go for 4 first round draft picks. Only player in the league i wouldn't take that offer on would be Mcdavid. You want a new dynasty sometimes its worth taking the short term hit for long term gain. 

Boston did that a couple years ago when they traded a few up coming contracts for first rounders they had like 3-4 and now they are still competitive with prospects coming in every year and performing. 

the current Toronto path has them competitive for years, but top 4 for maybe 2 years. if they were to lose mathews it would hurt, but if they retain Tavares, Marner, Kap, Nyl, Reilly. they can trade for another top 2 dman. but having 2 first round picks for 4 years..... good managment can turn that into a future Dynasty.

Ok.... let's get er done!!! LOL.

Now, where can we send Marner???  Cool Cool Cool

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
The owner of the Coyotes has the lowest net worth of any owner in the NHL.

Offering up a contract that would be worth twice what he is, would be massive leap. I also don't see Matthews drawing any major interest for corporate sponsors on a national level. He's great but he's not McDavid or Crosby good, and he'd damn near have to be Gretzky good to make the Yotes matter to major corporate sponsors.

They are already losing a ton of money every year, and adding 14M or so in one player, knowing that you basically have to be a cap ceiling team to be competitive with that much tied up in one guy... I dunno. I do fear an offer sheet, but not from Arizona. Unless some uber rich dude who wants to make a statement comes along, but currently, it's the longest of long shots.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-13, 11:53 PM)CTS Wrote: The Houston Rockets owner had talks with the Coyotes about buying them & moving them to the Toyota Center

Nothing imminent,   but please just pull the plug already!

From Gary's cold, dead hands
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-13, 11:41 AM)bfitz77 Wrote: Mathews was drafted 1st overall and according to many on here has a 2 way game that is the best in the league. That's why I think he'll be asking for Mcdavid money. The leafs should sign him early so the rest have to at least get overpaid as well.

Please find a single quote of anybody saying this, let alone "many".
Thanks given by:
Mikko Rantanen: 10.5M
Auston Matthews: 11M
Brayden Point: 9.5M
Mitch Marner: 9.5M
Patrik Laine: 9M
Matthew Tkachuk: 7.25M (assuming ~75 point season - currently on pace for 94)
Sebastian Aho: 8M (assuming ~80 point season, currently on pace for ~87)
Brock Boeser: 7.25M
Kyle Connor: 7M (assuming ~65 point season, currently on pace for ~68)
Timo Meier: 7M (assuming ~70 point season, currently on pace for ~77)

Slightly took into account age (paid more if you did more at a younger age) and overall trajectory (paid slightly more if you had a previous season or seasons at a high level). The numbers also all assume long-term contracts, not bridge deals.

Nylander just got ~7M for 61 point career high, so I think that's raising the price of a lot of RFAs next year.
Thanks given by:
Mikko Rantanen:    $10 million

Those all look pretty close. Rantannen if he keeps this up and wins the scoring race and then probably the most valuable player in the show can easily ask for as much as Matthews does.  He plays like a C man and is the set up guy totally that can shoot as well.
Point can ask for more for sure , especially being great on both ends..
Boesser bridge
Connor I would think they want to bridge
Meier Bridge.
Thanks given by: