Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's wrong with Smith? Experts weigh in
An article by Kristen Anderson with interviews from former goaltenders.

LOS ANGELES — Between the aftermath of the U.S. mid-term elections, Le’Veon Bell’s cryptic comments, and rising Duke superstar Zion Williams, no one was talking about Wednesday’s National Hockey League highlights in Southern California.
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
From the article.

NHL source who wished to remain anonymous: “You can try to beat it but we’re all getting older. You can take care of your body and prepare in the offseason but there is one thing that doesn’t change — we’re all getting older. Goaltenders peak at the age of 27-years-old. Physically, you need to do extra work but something that will catch up eventually is the test of time. The top-end goaltenders have a reaction time of 0.4 or 0.5-seconds. The time they have to analyze a shot combined with the time they move into a shot … the reaction time at age of 36 might be 0.6 or 0.7. His reaction time is slower based on the physiological effects of age.”
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
I don't want to cherry pick (even if I just did). There is more to it than reaction time and I'm not sure Smitty's has dropped. There is no doubt some bad habits have creeped in and I put the blames on Signalet. Signalet doesn't play he game of course, but he sure as hell ought to be pointing out the flaws with video.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
Meanwhile Roberto Luongo beat the Oilers. Yay!
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-09, 09:25 AM)Nanuuk Wrote: Meanwhile Roberto Luongo beat the Oilers. Yay!

He's 39!
And Ryan Miller just beat us, he's 38.

Laugh  I just posted a critique of goaltending in the Quacked thread. Shoulda put it here.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not so sure about the former.-Einstein
Thanks given by: Nanuuk , Nanuuk
Luongo didn't just "beat the Oilers" he was the main reason for it - he made 2 save of the year candidates in the first period and a near save of the year candidate a little later.

The Oilers dominated the first 10 minutes and Luongo was utterly sensational. The Panthers scored and took over from there.

If Lou doesn't come up HUGE in the first period, the game is likely very different.

Damn Lou.
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4
Oilers have a shit defense. I'm sure that plays into it too.
Thanks given by:
Oilers shit defence plays in to Luongo's brilliant play early in the game?
Thanks given by:
Yes.
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4 , Beerisfood
@DarrenWHaynes
4h4 hours ago

Most wins for the Flames in the last 15 seasons:
1. Kiprusoff, 305
2. Everybody else*, 257

* Ramo, Hiller, Smith, Elliott, Johnson, McLennan, Ortio, MacDonald, Rittich, Berra, Turek, Karlsson, McElhinney, Gillies, Sauve, Irving, Joseph, Backstrom, Toskala, Lack, Taylor, Boucher.

Gawd, I miss that man.
Thanks given by: Nanuuk , FlameFilosi4 , Bully , Bully
"What's wrong with Smith?"... um... he's not that good of a goalie, never has been. He can play a few games in a row all worldly, but overall, he's pretty average.
Thanks given by:
Smith was acquired to be a stop gap while prospects Rittich and Gillies developed. I believe the Flames management felt that one of the two would end up a starter and the other a back-up. It is hard to predict when they'd be ready to assume the mantle so a goalie capable of playing 55+ games with some certitude of competence was needed. And Smith fits that bill. Career GAA of 2.71 and career Sv% of .912, 225 wins, 225 losses over 14 seasons.

Right now he is well under his career average Sv%. While .912 isn't at a Vezina level, it should be sufficient for the Flames to get back into the play-offs this season.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
I think theDC might be on to something here.
"What's the first thing a lion does after he wakes up?" Badger Bob Johnson
"He licks his balls" Kent Nilsson
Thanks given by:
Not sure it’s fair to accuse Smitty of never being a decent goalie . He played on some terrible teams in Arizona and he still got them well into the playoffs not long ago . 
     The problem for me is Father Time . Not his fault but he is 38 I think going on 39 ? He hasn’t been reliable since January of last year . 
     I think now he has to earn the spot especially if the back up is out playing him . I say ride Rittich until he loses or doesn’t keep them n games . As long as he is keeping them in games and at least giving them a chance Rittich should be the man . 
       It’s as much an audition for him as a starter . At some point this season decisions have to be made for next year anyways . Let’s see if we can fix things in house . 
       Who knows , if Smitty has anything left maybe it would light a fire under his ass !
Thanks given by:
He's only 36 Suits.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-10, 02:03 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: He's only 36 Suits.

I thought he was 37 going on 38 in March . My bad he is still a pup !  Icon_razz Regardless he is a big goalie with bad hips so his 36 may as well be 40 . He is clearly on the decline again everybody gets old at some point .
Thanks given by:
Can we be so lucky?

https://www.facebook.com/FlamesFrom80Fee...tn__=EHH-RFlames From 80 Feet
1 hr ·
David Rittich, who turned 26 in August, has 13 wins in his NHL career. That's one more than Miikka Kiprusoff had, when he was the same age. Kiprusoff would retire 11 years later with 319 wins -- and that included one season missed due to the 2004-05 NHL lockout.

By no means is this a prediction, but if you're wondering if there's still time for an 'older' guy like Rittich to eventually take over as the Flames starter, absolutely there is.
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4 , Nanuuk
Cash or cheque?
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by: