Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What will they sign for?
(2018-10-20, 04:35 PM)Limestoner Wrote:
(2018-10-20, 04:07 PM)Sportking Wrote: If 8 million is not the number then why would they not deny it then. At the very least it might win them some votes in the battle of public opinion

Because that's not how negotiations work. You don't negotiate in public, which means you don't confirm or deny rumours.

I'll ask you this question? Which camp most benefits from the public perception that Nylander is being 'greedy' as you say?

Obviously the organization. 

I'll ask you this question. Do YOU think that 8+ million dollars per year is too much for William Nylander?
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-20, 05:04 PM)Trevorchef Wrote:
(2018-10-20, 04:07 PM)Sportking Wrote: If 8 million is not the number then why would they not deny it then. At the very least it might win them some votes in the battle of public opinion

Because that's not how negotiations work. You don't negotiate in public, which means you don't confirm or deny rumours.

I'll ask you this question? Which camp most benefits from the public perception that Nylander is being 'greedy' as you say?

I'll ask you this question. Do YOU think that 8+ million dollars per year is too much for William Nylander?

I personally think 6.5 is too much. 

I would send him packing. I also think other fans notion that we shouldnt have signed Tavares so we could keep Nylander laughable. 

Nylander is not worth big money and if it means we send him packing so be it. 6.5 is too much imo for a guy who essentially folded in the playoffs.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-20, 05:04 PM)Trevorchef Wrote: I'll ask you this question. Do YOU think that 8+ million dollars per year is too much for William Nylander?

I do. I think the comparitors have been beaten to death in this thread and others.

One would have to think that Nylander and his agent would know what a reasonably fair market value is too, no? One would have to believe they would also know that he has virtually zero leverage.

This whole thing smells like bs to me, especially since the media story about Willie's dad being a jerk came out, lol. But then again, I have no bias telling me that the organization must  be doing what's fair here.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-20, 05:13 PM)Limestoner Wrote: I do. I think the comparitors have been beaten to death in this thread and others.

One would have to think that Nylander and his agent would know reasonably fair market value is too, no? One would also have to believe they would also know that he has virtually zero leverage.

This whole thing smells like bs to me, especially since the media story about Willie's dad being a jerk came out, lol. But then again, I have no bias telling me that the organization must  be doing what's fair here.

You think he is worth 8?

His agent is trying to get him the most money possible which is their job. That said it doesnt mean he will get it. 

His dad being a jerk and a selfish/ greedy player was out before this kid was drafted. Its not new.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
(2018-10-20, 05:04 PM)Trevorchef Wrote: I'll ask you this question. Do YOU think that 8+ million dollars per year is too much for William Nylander?
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-20, 05:09 PM)Sportking Wrote:
(2018-10-20, 05:04 PM)Trevorchef Wrote:

I personally think 6.5 is too much. 

I would send him packing. I also think other fans notion that we shouldnt have signed Tavares so we could keep Nylander laughable. 

Nylander is not worth big money and if it means we send him packing so be it. 6.5 is too much imo for a guy who essentially folded in the playoffs.

We are on the same page here bud. Although... 6.75 was my absolute ceiling. And that would have to be for a max term deal. 6.75 x 8 years = 54 million dollars. And that takes him to age 30. Give your head a shake Willy. Even more money to be made thereafter. If that ain't enough.... SEE YA! 

As an afterthought.... if that isn't enough money? Yes... GREEDY seems to be the appropriate term here.
Thanks given by:
If his ask was a number that his camp felt would win the popular/public opinion vote, I think they would have leaked the number by now. As a RFA, he has so few cards to play, that I feel like if they had that one in their hand, it would be on the table.

It makes no sense NOT to pay him 6.0-6.5.
Thanks given by:
As an after-afterthought... I've always like Nylander's skill set as an NHL'er. But, I have never been fond of his attitude in general. Someone needs to slap that peacock smirk off his face. Playing alongside Auston Matthews for that past two years should have produced more than 62 points per season. IMO. Asking for 8+ million dollars per season, (if that is legit), just reeks of overvaluing his own worth.
Thanks given by: durhamleafer
Nylander or any player must endure ELC years, in Nylander's case he was considerably underpaid during those years. Let's say TO signs him for 8 per for 8 years which is 64 mil. He was paid 1 mil. per for 3 ELC years so together with his contract of 64 mil. that comes to 67 mil and being that he was/is contracted by TO for 11 years, his average annual salary works out to around 6.1 mil. per season.

Let's say TO can't afford him and trades him to Carolina for Pesce, Carolina willingly signs him for 8 for 8 years, is he still not worth it?

Teams have to recognize that lesser lights deserve much less and stars need to be paid. I watch a game and I don't really/intently watch Brown, I don't expect Brown to win a game, I expect him to do his job and his biggest stress is doing his job well enough to remain in the NHL. I do look to Matthews, Marner, Nylander, etc. to be the reason TO wins and they should be paid to facilitate the victories.

Many of us have pointed out that Matthews, Nylander, Gardiner didn't have a great playoff last year, myself included, but few have mentioned Brown, Hainsey, Hymen because we don't expect much from them and their not delivering much isn't surprising or alarming. The low expectations will be with them for the rest of their careers but expecting a poorly paid Nylander to bear the burden of TO's aspirations, doesn't seem right.

I think all players should be paid what they're worth and for me this means a 22/23 year old is at the top of their game and should be paid for what they can do, now. Pay him and demand/expect results. I feel sorry for Dubie, LL has put him in a tight bind.

I don't think Nylander is any greedier than any NHLer, he is still probably asking for his ceiling and Dubie is probably offering the floor.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-20, 05:34 PM)Bo Dangles Wrote: If his ask was a number that his camp felt would win the popular/public opinion vote, I think they would have leaked the number by now. As a RFA, he has so few cards to play, that I feel like if they had that one in their hand, it would be on the table.

It makes no sense NOT to pay him 6.0-6.5.

Other than the fact that he is not worth that much either. 2 years at 4 then dump.

Just to be clear, I would be thrilled if Nylander were actually good enough to EARN 6 or 6.5.
"Stand up for yourself young fellow. Nobody else is going to do it for you" 
Thanks given by:
Ssshhhh
Thanks given by: