Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where do yo live
(2019-02-13, 02:19 PM)Habysmal Wrote:
(2019-02-13, 11:44 AM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: Scriptor/Habysmal

One of my "bucket list things" was to do a Cali trip.  We got to do it 4 summers ago.  Loved it.  Cali is gorgeous.  Me and hubby liked the north, my kid was all about LA (as he was in drama at school etc).  Kept saying he was going to move there.

The only thing we didn't do was the desert, or south of LA.

So next time, I will go back for sure....we will start in San Diego and go check out the places we didn't get to see.  We drove Napa Valley to LA and all the stops inbetween. Went to watch the Jays in Oakland (yikes, Oakland) and a live taping of a TV show

-----

Been enjoying reading everyone's notes above...and finding a childhood neighbor on here (CaptA)
DId you do the drive on the 1 (PCH), up the coast?  Man, that drive..... holy funk.  

NorCal is so beautiful... you get more of the foresty, big tree vibe than SoCal, whereas it's more arid.

Haha, Oakland is getting better tho cuz of the insane cost of living in San Fran... but yeah, it has it's spots for sure. haha.

WE did a little of the 1...there was traffic due to construction, so we also did hoop onto another hiway...sheesh I forget the number, I guess the next one over. We did an overnight along the way. But then after a few days in LA area we drove Burbank to Nappa Valley, did that one the "boring" direct, fastest highway there. Very much nothing to look at or stop at...but we wanted to get the drive done in one "day". So our trip was SF to LA to Nappa and all types of stops inbetween (our flights were out of SF as it cost hundreds less if you returned your rental back to same airport) There were forest fires in Nappa area, I was worried so I spoke with front desk ppl at our LA hotel and they were like...oh don't worry it's nothing, see those mountains out there...they are that far away". I'm like- crap we are gonna die aren't we? But she was right, we didn't even notice anything, not even in air quality or anything. Did spa/golf in Nappa to end our trip. Nice relaxing last few days after all the driving and sight seeing etc. But the traffic in LA. Yikes, and I live in GTA!!
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-13, 02:47 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote:
(2019-02-13, 02:19 PM)Habysmal Wrote:

One of my "bucket list things" was to do a Cali trip.  We got to do it 4 summers ago.  Loved it.  Cali is gorgeous.  Me and hubby liked the north, my kid was all about LA (as he was in drama at school etc).  Kept saying he was going to move there.

So next time, I will go back for sure....we will start in San Diego and go check out the places we didn't get to see.  We drove Napa Valley to LA and all the stops inbetween. Went to watch the Jays in Oakland (yikes, Oakland) and a live taping of a TV show

-----

Been enjoying reading everyone's notes above...and finding a childhood neighbor on here (CaptA)
DId you do the drive on the 1 (PCH), up the coast?  Man, that drive..... holy funk.  

NorCal is so beautiful... you get more of the foresty, big tree vibe than SoCal, whereas it's more arid.

Haha, Oakland is getting better tho cuz of the insane cost of living in San Fran... but yeah, it has it's spots for sure. haha.

WE did a little of the 1...there was traffic due to construction, so we also did hoop onto another hiway...sheesh I forget the number, I guess the next one over.  We did an overnight along the way.  But then after a few days in LA area we drove Burbank to Nappa Valley, did that one the "boring" direct, fastest highway there.  Very much nothing to look at or stop at...but we wanted to get the drive done in one "day".  So our trip was SF to LA to Nappa  and all types of stops inbetween (our flights were out of SF as it cost hundreds less if you returned your rental back to same airport)  There were forest fires in Nappa area, I was worried so I spoke with front desk ppl at our LA hotel and they were like...oh don't worry it's nothing, see those mountains out there...they are that far away".  I'm like- crap we are gonna die aren't we?  But she was right, we didn't even notice anything, not even in air quality or anything.  Did spa/golf in Nappa to end our trip.  Nice relaxing last few days after all the driving and sight seeing etc.  But the traffic in LA.  Yikes, and I live in GTA!!

Yeah you probably took the 5....  so boring... with the cow concentration camp about half way up there where you can smell the manure for miles away?  If so, that would be the 5.  And those cows are killed for In N' Out Burger.  Random tangent there, but yes, it was probably the 5. 

Did you go up through the Grapevine (long upward climb through the mountains when leaving / entering LA....  just before Bakersfield when going North bound?

Yes Nappa is awesome.  So chill.

And yes, LA traffic sucks the biggest Purple B*lls ever.  It's like Tonronto on steroids.  Funny, I oft compare LA to TO in terms of the fact that nothing is centralized there.  Everything is so spread out.  Whereas San Fran reminds me more of Montreal.  You can walk everywhere there and / or take public transit easily.  It's kinda artsy (or at least it used to be... havent been to SF in a few years and I hear it's super tech based now, and all the artists are leaving)....

But yes, good stuff!!!  The drive up the 1 is epic tho.  Next time, you should definitely do it!
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-13, 02:26 PM)Habysmal Wrote:
(2019-02-13, 01:41 PM)johnnylarue Wrote: This back and forth is oddly enjoyable. (I've been here in LA since early January. Nicknamed it "Vancouver South" for how lousy the weather's been.)

You have definitely chosen the wrong time to visit.  It's the worst it's been in a couple of years, rain wise.  And Jan / Feb are the months that rain happens... when it does happen....

I had to move last Saturday (Feb 2) and it was pissing super hard all day.  Luckily I did all the big stuff several days before, hours before the rain started for what ended up being days on end... which is rare here.

SO yes, it's def had the Vancouver South vibes this past month or so.   A month from now, it'll be all sun all the time once again.....   Hope you're enjoying it tho!

It's not so much a visit, actually--I've been here a bunch back and forth over the past few years (The Wife is a TV writer), so I know how unusual this weather is. Looks like we're in for another few days of it too! Whatever, I'll take this over a Canadian Winter any day of the week and twice on Snowdays. Wink
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-13, 02:21 PM)Habysmal Wrote:
(2019-02-13, 11:47 AM)Captain aHab Wrote:

-----

Go to Palm Springs and Joshua Tree National Park. We've been there before and are going back in a month, doing a LA, San Diego and Palm Springs loop.

I second that.  I actually rented out a super remote AirBnb in Josha Tree for a few days next week.  360 views.  No internet.  5 Acres of land to explore.  No near neighbors....  Right in the middle of nowhere, with a small drive to the National Park if I so wish to go there.  Gonna be a fun few days. 

But yes, you should defnitely do J Tree next time!

We're doing airbnb too. We looked at a spot very near the park entrance but decided on something a little closer to Palm Springs.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by: Habysmal
(2019-02-13, 02:23 PM)Habysmal Wrote:
(2019-02-13, 12:28 PM)Scriptor Wrote:

-----

Go to Palm Springs and Joshua Tree National Park. We've been there before and are going back in a month, doing a LA, San Diego and Palm Springs loop.
I drove to LA from MON when we went down there way back when. If anybody has a chance, I suggest going to New Mexico, if only to look at the sky at night. You'll be amazed at how many stars are really up there in the sky. The State's elevation and lack of polluting industries for long stretches (including light pollution) make it unreal. I barely exaggerate when I say that a New Mexico sky is about finding the space between the stars rather than finding the stars in space.

Sedona, Arizona as well.  Those skies in Sedona .... omg....

Purely epic place.  6 hour drive from LA.   Spiritual vibes there (if that's your kick), amazing red rocks and hiking and just all around magic.

Def worth the trip as well!  I'm sure HabsfaninPhoenix knows about Sedona.
Thnx. Makes me want to go back out west and see more place. But the Oregon Coast is a beautiful drive and, if you're into wine, it's a bonus, for sure.
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
(2019-02-13, 03:52 PM)johnnylarue Wrote:
(2019-02-13, 01:41 PM)johnnylarue Wrote: This back and forth is oddly enjoyable. (I've been here in LA since early January. Nicknamed it "Vancouver South" for how lousy the weather's been.)

You have definitely chosen the wrong time to visit.  It's the worst it's been in a couple of years, rain wise.  And Jan / Feb are the months that rain happens... when it does happen....

I had to move last Saturday (Feb 2) and it was pissing super hard all day.  Luckily I did all the big stuff several days before, hours before the rain started for what ended up being days on end... which is rare here.

SO yes, it's def had the Vancouver South vibes this past month or so.   A month from now, it'll be all sun all the time once again.....   Hope you're enjoying it tho!

It's not so much a visit, actually--I've been here a bunch back and forth over the past few years (The Wife is a TV writer), so I know how unusual this weather is. Looks like we're in for another few days of it too! Whatever, I'll take this over a Canadian Winter any day of the week and twice on Snowdays. Wink

Yep, I too would take it over a Canadian winter.  Great to hear!  TV writer, awesome!  Cheers!
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-13, 06:42 PM)Habysmal Wrote:

Yep, I too would take it over a Canadian winter.  Great to hear!  TV writer, awesome!  Cheers!

Cheers? I'd have to guess SCTV.
---
Give Marc Bergevin some credit.
(He'll pay you back with -10% interest.)
Thanks given by: Gerry Pigeon
(2019-02-13, 02:23 PM)Habysmal Wrote:
(2019-02-13, 12:28 PM)Scriptor Wrote:

-----

I drove to LA from MON when we went down there way back when. If anybody has a chance, I suggest going to New Mexico, if only to look at the sky at night. You'll be amazed at how many stars are really up there in the sky. The State's elevation and lack of polluting industries for long stretches (including light pollution) make it unreal. I barely exaggerate when I say that a New Mexico sky is about finding the space between the stars rather than finding the stars in space.

Sedona, Arizona as well.  Those skies in Sedona .... omg....

Purely epic place.  6 hour drive from LA.   Spiritual vibes there (if that's your kick), amazing red rocks and hiking and just all around magic.

Def worth the trip as well!  I'm sure HabsfaninPhoenix knows about Sedona.

Everyone who comes to visit AZ wants to see the Grand Canyon. They wind up falling in love with Sedona. Beautiful area, great hiking, easier to take in than the canyon. It's become very touristy now.
Thunder Bay, Ont.
I have sex daily. I mean dyslexia.
Thanks given by:
Sedona...and Arizona I want to get too soon
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-14, 08:30 PM)OldSchool Wrote: Thunder Bay, Ont.

Spent a couple of years living on Trout Lake, lovely area.
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-13, 07:10 PM)FormalWare Wrote:
(2019-02-13, 06:42 PM)Habysmal Wrote:

Cheers? I'd have to guess SCTV.

Nice one, FW.
Thanks given by: FormalWare
(2019-02-09, 10:34 PM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2019-02-09, 10:26 PM)Sam S. Wrote: I grew up in pointe Claire but escaped to the gritty streets of NDG as soon as I could. Now I live in Los angeles, where the streets are really gritty - seriously, no rain for 8 months each year means a lot of grit. (But it's nice to gaze through the palm trees at distant snow caps.)

Lived there for a year. How's the smog nowadays? I know the state wants to be greener. Is it working?

The air is clear and the skies are blue - as long as there aren't any forest fires, which happen almost year round now.
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-09, 11:52 PM)HabsfanlostinTO Wrote:
(2019-02-09, 10:26 PM)Sam S. Wrote: I grew up in pointe Claire but escaped to the gritty streets of NDG as soon as I could. Now I live in Los angeles, where the streets are really gritty - seriously, no rain for 8 months each year means a lot of grit. (But it's nice to gaze through the palm trees at distant snow caps.)

Did you ever hang out at the Maples Inn "The Mapes" on the Lakeshore?

I lived near there, but was too young to hang out at the rowdy roadhouse. I remember it burning, though - went to watch the (alleged) arson fire.
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-16, 10:10 PM)Sam S. Wrote:
(2019-02-09, 10:34 PM)Scriptor Wrote:

Lived there for a year. How's the smog nowadays? I know the state wants to be greener. Is it working?

The air is clear and the skies are blue - as long as there aren't any forest fires, which happen almost year round now.
Unfortunate.

I remember the popular postcard from LA entitled the four seasons of LA:

Earthquake, Mud slide, Forest fire and I forget the fourth one, but it must have been tsunami or something, unless it was riots. Again, I can't remember.
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-16, 10:13 PM)Sam S. Wrote:
(2019-02-09, 11:52 PM)HabsfanlostinTO Wrote:

Did you ever hang out at the Maples Inn "The Mapes" on the Lakeshore?

I lived near there, but was too young to hang out at the rowdy roadhouse. I remember it burning, though - went to watch the (alleged) arson fire.
Or is that (allegedly) went to watch the arson fire (rather than start it) Wink
Thanks given by: