Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who to draft at #5
(2017-06-25, 07:32 PM)Bure Wrote: I actually don't agree I think the time to Trade Tanev is now or early in the season. That way you can hopefully trade him to a team that thinks they're better than they are and a first round pick actually has the potential to be a pretty high pick. If you trade him at the deadline you're getting a late 1st, which I would still be happy with but if you trade him now there's a chance of a high pick.

The only other time to move him would be a week after the free agency period. This way you could catch teams that are vulnerable and need to fill a hole, say to a team that may have struck out on July 01.
Thanks given by:
Well from all accounts it sounds like Benning and his group did really well at this draft.
Personally I was hoping for Glass but hopefully I'm wrong. 

Just wanted to say thanks to the group here for some awesome insight over the past few weeks. It's been great to read your views; for some reason I've been desperate for info on this year's draft ?
My Honda Civic has an Infinite Improbability Drive

Thanks given by:
Nolan Patrick undergoes second abdominal surgery, will miss 4-6 weeks.

I know this has nothing to do with the Canucks, but I've said this months before the draft that if Vancouver won the lottery, Hischier should be the pick and not Patrick. Easy decision really.

1.) Hischier I think is the better player, also has higher upside. 2.) Check out Patrick's injury history.

Thanks given by:
I don't think that you can necessarily go by injury history. If the prognosis is that the injury. once healed, will not impair the player in any way. Imagine how much better Nolan Patrick would be if he had no abdominal injury that he was playing with?

A few years back the Leafs stole Morgan Reilly because other teams were worried about his knee injury. He would have been the #1 overall pick had there been no injury. Looking back it's easy to see why he would be.

The players that went before Reilly, I bet these teams wish they had a do over:

1/ Edmonton - Nail Yakupov
2/ Columbus - Ryan Murray
3/ Montreal - Alex Galchenyuk
4/ NY Islanders - Griffin Rhinehart
5/ Toronto - Morgan Reilly
6/ Anaheim - Hampus Lindholm
Thanks given by:
That was one injury though. I don't think Morgan Rielly had injury history before that. Nolan Patrick on the other hand? he's been hurt a lot. I read an article a few months ago where they listed Patrick's injuries since he was 15 years old. The list was pretty long.

Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
That was awesome trapper. It appears that Jim Benning had a very set plan on picking Kole Lind and wasn't going to back down from it if he was available. He was absolutely shocked not to see him go in the first round. I've watched a little bit of footage of Lind, and he's lengthy, he plays aggressive and hard, will fight, and he has great scoring touch. Can't wait to see him play in the WHL. And maybe hopefully Team Canada at the world juniors.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I missed the draft as I was away on holidays. Frustrating that I was without wifi access as well.

Overall I'm quite happy with Benning's picks. I would have liked one of the top 2 defense men but I knew the odds of one of them falling to us was slim. 

I'm looking forward to the day when Pettersson cracks the lineup. It sucks having to wait several years for that to happen. At my age you start to get a little impatient.  Silly I like the idea of a future possible top line of Dahlen and Pettersson.

Rumour has it Dahlen might stay another year in the Swedish elite league and play with Pettersson. I know some will want to see him go to Utica instead. I'm actually hoping he elects to stay over in Sweden to play with Pettersson. The more chemistry they can manufacture together can only help the Canucks the day they enter the NHL.
Thanks given by:
(2017-07-05, 12:22 AM)Vanquish Wrote: I missed the draft as I was away on holidays. Frustrating that I was without wifi access as well.

Overall I'm quite happy with Benning's picks. I would have liked one of the top 2 defense men but I knew the odds of one of them falling to us was slim. 

I'm looking forward to the day when Pettersson cracks the lineup. It sucks having to wait several years for that to happen. At my age you start to get a little impatient.  Silly I like the idea of a future possible top line of Dahlen and Pettersson.

Rumour has it Dahlen might stay another year in the Swedish elite league and play with Pettersson. I know some will want to see him go to Utica instead. I'm actually hoping he elects to stay over in Sweden to play with Pettersson. The more chemistry they can manufacture together can only help the Canucks the day they enter the NHL.

Hey V,

Always great to read your posts. I do wish you'd post more often. You're part of the old, old crew going back to the SNET days. I love the passion we have for OUR team excluding Savary, Shoes, Bure, Canuxxx, C FAN' 89, Marsh, Trap, Nicky, Arnold, Harrison, Nipsy, Richmond_Nuck, and I if I think for about 5 more minutes I am sure there are others than i listed in my small mind at the top of my head. Feel free to bump my post and add your name to the ones I listed. I would truly appreciate that.

Let me run an ulterior scenario to what you suggested which in your post which I think is absolutely valid and could work for us.

If Dahlen comes over he gets used to a North American style of play about 1 year sooner in the AHL. A style of play that we all know that is much more rugged than the SEL which has bigger rinks. Dahlen can also guide Pettersen a year in advance of what to expect on the west side of the Atlantic. They already have an amazing chemistry so maybe the move over for Dahlen may be the best one for our organization.
Thanks given by:
(2017-07-05, 01:47 AM)topgun Wrote:
(2017-07-05, 12:22 AM)Vanquish Wrote: I missed the draft as I was away on holidays. Frustrating that I was without wifi access as well.

Hey V,

Always great to read your posts. I do wish you'd post more often. You're part of the old, old crew going back to the SNET days. I love the passion we have for OUR team excluding Savary, Shoes, Bure, Canuxxx, C FAN' 89, Marsh, Trap, Nicky, Arnold, Harrison, Nipsy, Richmond_Nuck, and I if I think for about 5 more minutes I am sure there are others than i listed in my small mind at the top of my head. Feel free to bump my post and add your name to the ones I listed. I would truly appreciate that.

Let me run an ulterior scenario to what you suggested which in your post which I think is absolutely valid and could work for us.

If Dahlen comes over he gets used to a North American style of play about 1 year sooner in the AHL. A style of play that we all know that is much more rugged than the SEL which has bigger rinks. Dahlen can also guide Pettersen a year in advance of what to expect on the west side of the Atlantic. They already have an amazing chemistry so maybe the move over for Dahlen may be the best one for our organization.

Thanks topgun for the props and you can take a bow yourself. We're a small group on here but we don't lack for passion for our team. 

In regards to Dahlen as he is a year older than Pettersson I don't think another year in Sweden will hurt him that much. Pettersson would like to stay over there a while longer. I think if Dahlen opts to stay over there with him they can both transition to the AHL next year.

It doesn't happen very often where potential line mates have the opportunity to play together for so long. I'm not going to compare them to the Sedin's but the idea of them being able to develop a similar chemistry to them is a huge incentive for them to stay together if they can. I hope they take it.
Thanks given by:

The Sedins played an extra year in Sweden after their draft and one might think it slowed their development a bit, but certainly it never impeded them from reaching their potential.
In fact, the way that worked out makes me think chemistry between Dahlen and Pettersson may be more important than splitting them to rush Dahleen to the pro's.
My Honda Civic has an Infinite Improbability Drive

Thanks given by:
Dahlen has really turned into a pretty important prospect for us going forward eh?

Thanks given by:
(2017-07-05, 08:29 PM)Canuxxx Wrote: Dahlen has really turned into a pretty important prospect for us going forward eh?

It's quite intriguing that we may have the makings of a top line coming up. They may develop the same insane chemistry the Sedin's exhibit with the added bonus that they aren't twins and could be separated or traded individually should the time come. All this presuming of course that they do indeed develop into quality NHL players, fingers crossed.
Thanks given by: