Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I love the CFL!...
Bush League

CFL declines comment on officiating in Ticats-Argos game
Posted on October 4, 2017 by Drew Edwards // 15 Comments
The Canadian Football League has “respectfully declined” to comment in the wake of acknowledging an officiating error in last Saturday’s game between the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Toronto Argonauts.
Sources say the league informed the Ticats that the pass interference call against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in Saturday’s loss to the Toronto Argonauts did not meet the league’s standard. But the CFL has made no official statement and has now decided not to address the issue publicly.
In the third quarter with the Ticats leading by seven, defensive back Courtney Stephen intercepted Argo quarterback Ricky Ray. Toronto challenged the play, looking for pass interference on S.J. Green by Demond Washington. After a lengthy delay, replay official Jake Ireland ruled that there was pass interference and the drive continued.
[Image: giphy-28.gif?zoom=2&resize=480%2C268]
There were several other questionable calls during the game as well, including a game clock issue that saw more than a minute of time run off between plays in the fourth quarter as on-field officials deliberated a fumble call.
Glen Johnson, the CFL’s vice-president of football and the man in charge of officiating, has been transparent with the media and fans in the wake of officiating errors in the past, including a two-part Q&A he did with 3DownNation after mistakes were made in Ticat game late last season. This is what Johnson said at the time:

Quote:“I live and wear every one of these that we don’t get right. I go back to ‘how can we better, how can I train these guys better?’ It’s hard and we take it very seriously. Every one of the mistakes, we learn from. In general, we are trending better on all the metrics it’s just that these misses are things people tend to remember.”
My life is based on a true story
Thanks given by:
Holy shee-it.
Jake Ireland??? He's still around?
He was a still a ref when I bailed on the CFL decades ago!
Thanks given by:
(2017-10-04, 11:10 AM)smokey Wrote: Bush League

The Canadian Football League has “respectfully declined” to comment in the wake of acknowledging an officiating error in last Saturday’s game between the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Toronto Argonauts.
Sources say the league informed the Ticats that the pass interference call against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in Saturday’s loss to the Toronto Argonauts did not meet the league’s standard. But the CFL has made no official statement and has now decided not to address the issue publicly.
In the third quarter with the Ticats leading by seven, defensive back Courtney Stephen intercepted Argo quarterback Ricky Ray. Toronto challenged the play, looking for pass interference on S.J. Green by Demond Washington. After a lengthy delay, replay official Jake Ireland ruled that there was pass interference and the drive continued.
There were several other questionable calls during the game as well, including a game clock issue that saw more than a minute of time run off between plays in the fourth quarter as on-field officials deliberated a fumble call.
Glen Johnson, the CFL’s vice-president of football and the man in charge of officiating, has been transparent with the media and fans in the wake of officiating errors in the past, including a two-part Q&A he did with 3DownNation after mistakes were made in Ticat game late last season. This is what Johnson said at the time:

Quote:“I live and wear every one of these that we don’t get right. I go back to ‘how can we better, how can I train these guys better?’ It’s hard and we take it very seriously. Every one of the mistakes, we learn from. In general, we are trending better on all the metrics it’s just that these misses are things people tend to remember.”

what the hell do you expect them to do Smokey?  throw their officials under the bus?  that's pretty pathetic and the worst thing the League could do!

you wanna call Bush league..?
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
(2017-10-04, 11:55 AM)Cornholio Wrote: Holy shee-it.
Jake Ireland??? He's still around?
He was a still a ref when I bailed on the CFL decades ago!

true CFL fans don't bail on a league...
Thanks given by:
I know there's supposed to be an insult in there somewhere, but I'm just not finding it Wink
Thanks given by:
(2017-10-04, 01:38 PM)cflisthebest Wrote:

what the hell do you expect them to do Smokey?  throw their officials under the bus?  that's pretty pathetic and the worst thing the League could do!

I expect them to "finally" improve the refereeing in this so-called PROFESSIONAL football league.  It is so bad that even you have criticized it in the past.  Jake Ireland in the Command Center has several camera angles and slow motion.  He got it wrong.  The one challenge rule fixed the nonsense of coaches challenging everything but now blatant errors by the refs are going unchecked.  It is ruining the game.  So, yes, the league is bush.  It has been going on for too many years and people are turning their back on it.  As I said way back on page 1 of this thread, the refs are impacting the results of games.  How can fans take it seriously?  The Ham/Tor game is a prime example.  The league offices AGAIN  admitted that they made errors.  People need to be thrown under the bus and driven over several times.
Thanks given by:
(2017-10-04, 03:05 PM)smokey Wrote:
(2017-10-04, 01:38 PM)cflisthebest Wrote:

I expect them to "finally" improve the refereeing in this so-called PROFESSIONAL football league.  It is so bad that even you have criticized it in the past.  Jake Ireland in the Command Center has several camera angles and slow motion.  He got it wrong.  The one challenge rule fixed the nonsense of coaches challenging everything but now blatant errors by the refs are going unchecked.  It is ruining the game.  So, yes, the league is bush.  It has been going on for too many years and people are turning their back on it.  As I said way back on page 1 of this thread, the refs are impacting the results of games.  How can fans take it seriously?  The Ham/Tor game is a prime example.  The league offices AGAIN  admitted that they made errors.  People need to be thrown under the bus and driven over several times.

i understand but they can't fix the refereeing without first identifying where the problem is starting from.

if you expect them to just call every official into Toronto the next week and put them through a week long training course.. it's not going to happen.

it happens by improving training and making the rules simpler for the referees.  But that starts in the minor systems.

Alberta supplies a number of officials to the CFL.  I know many of them, when they were in the Minor Football system we refereed football games together.  

the issue they are facing these days is there's a major drop in the number of new officials starting in the Minor Football leagues.  

they don't pay great and the newest referees only get maybe 50 games in an entire season!  and the entire season would be 3 man referee system in Atom/PeeWee football.. if you're good enough you might get a few games in Bantam level that has 5 man or 7 man.

I did 5 years of refereeing and by the last year I was doing High School games, I was the head referee for Bantam and PeeWee games.

I left because the politics and favoritism was pretty obvious.  And there was one official who did not like us (my father and I)  and he didn't hide that feeling either.  and he being one of the most experienced officials there and a top man in the organization, we were never given fair opportunities.

i won't go back.  

but that was nearly 20 years ago almost.  and we used to get 100+ games on average.. not anymore.

so they're struggling acquire new referees and also keeping them around long enough.  plus the ones they seem to attract are not really that good at all.
Thanks given by:
Its worse for the league to not admit a mistake was made than to admit error. In fact most aspects of life operate this way. Trump is an obvious example
Thanks given by:
But it wasnt the League it was the officials that made the mistake
Thanks given by:
Who do they work for?  SMH Icon_rolleyes Icon_rolleyes
Thanks given by:
(2017-10-05, 06:14 AM)smokey Wrote: Who do they work for?  SMH Icon_rolleyes Icon_rolleyes

of course but they regulate their own employees the CFL doesn't.

when they need new officials due to retirement or promotion, the CFL doesn't hire those new officials, the CFOA does.

the CFOA is the one who grades them after each game.

you should research a little, you're arguing with someone who knows how the Officials association works.
Thanks given by:
Burying your head in the sand and acting like there is nothing wrong when officiating is clearly causing a credibility crisis with your league is about the last thing they should likely be doing.

They need to invest more money into their refs, both on training and remuneration. That should at least help with this.

I don't watch all the games, but I would have to agree that it seems the Argos also benefit more often than not on these calls too. Ottawa lost a game earlier in the season to them due to horrible refereeing. That's bad optics for a league that is trying desperately to make it work in Toronto (without much success).
Thanks given by: smokey , smokey
(2017-10-05, 09:18 AM)cflisthebest Wrote:
(2017-10-05, 06:14 AM)smokey Wrote: Who do they work for?  SMH Icon_rolleyes Icon_rolleyes

of course but they regulate their own employees the CFL doesn't.

when they need new officials due to retirement or promotion, the CFL doesn't hire those new officials, the CFOA does.

the CFOA is the one who grades them after each game.

you should research a little, you're arguing with someone who knows how the Officials association works.

That's just how their CBA is structured, but perhaps that is part of the problem. 

But make no mistake about it, they are CFL employees, and ultimately bare responsibility for their performance.
Thanks given by:
(2017-10-05, 10:17 AM)Heisenberg Wrote: Burying your head in the sand and acting like there is nothing wrong when officiating is clearly causing a credibility crisis with your league is about the last thing they should likely be doing.

They need to invest more money into their refs, both on training and remuneration. That should at least help with this.

I don't watch all the games, but I would have to agree that it seems the Argos also benefit more often than not on these calls too.  Ottawa lost a game earlier in the season to them due to horrible refereeing. That's bad optics for a league that is trying desperately to make it work in Toronto (without much success).

they need to invest in some full time officials.
Thanks given by:
It's funny that Heisenberg mentions the Argos getting the benefit of the calls. I remember the Argos being screwed royally by the officiating throughout the late '70s and early '80s when they were packing the CNE stadium.
Maybe there's something to that.
Thanks given by: smokey , smokey
And the beat goes on.

CFL admits time clock error, referees ratings downgraded
Posted on October 5, 2017 by 3Down Staff // 20 Comments
CFL officials allowed more than a minute of time to run off between plays in Toronto’s Week 15 win over Hamilton.
In the fourth quarter as on-field referees deliberated a fumble call, more than 60 seconds ticked by that were not added back on. Those responsible suffered consequences according to CBC reporter Malcolm Kelly.
Thanks given by: