Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Gary Bettman despised so much?
As I am watching the draft, I notice again how much Bettman gets jeered by the fans which is nothing new. Pretty much everywhere he goes whether it is at the draft or he is handing out the Stanley Cup he  seems to be generally despised and I am not sure why. 

Since Bettman became NHL commissioner in 1993 expansion fees has risen from 50 million to over 600 million which is what Seattle is expected to pay. Under his leadership the average value of NHL teams has risen from 150 million to 594 million with three teams (Toronto, Montreal, and the Rangers) being valued at 1.5 billion, he negotiated a 5.2 billion dollar Canadian TV deal, a 2 billion dollar U.S TV deal, started the trend of NHL players going to the Olympics, the salary cap, the financial assistance for Canadian teams that were struggling financially in the 1990’s.

Yes, there have been 3 work stoppages under his tenure, that said, I do admire the fact that he stood in ground especially in 2004/05 when he sacrificed the season to finally bring in the salary cap. IMO the cap was his biggest accomplishment as it has helped to create parity - No more do we have some teams like Rangers of the 1990’s who can have a massive payroll and can outbid other teams for their free agents. 

Considering how much the league has grown, the rise in revenues, and the salary cap, I guess I just find it odd to see how much he is hated.
Liberty And Justice For Most.
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
I don't think people hate him, but he gets on my nerves. Gets on a lot of people's nerves. He can come across as condescending, and etc.

I miss the game we had 30 years ago. Since he got here, the NHL has become a circus. Just my take on the whole thing

and Canada gets no favors from this guy at all. Vegas gets a team, Miami gets a team, but to hell with Canada, the most hockey crazy country on the planet.

You like the cap? I still see dumb GM's spending money like drunken sailors
 Proverbs 13:10
Thanks given by: LordFerg13
Fans aren't owners.

You're saying why owners should like him.

The lock outs for me. Players suffering because he's saving owners from themselves.

He didn't "sacrifice" the season. Players had to. The average NHL career is something like 4 years long. The lock outs hurt players. Not anyone else. I'm on the side of the talent, not the owners.

And that he's a smug weaselly sort of guy.

I've heard it described that it's because he's used to being the smartest guy in the room.
He needs to find some smarter rooms.

I understand Edmonton likes him because they like weasels (and that he saved their franchise Wink )
Mostly harmless  . . .
Thanks given by: Vanquish , Highstyx , topgun , theDC , theDC
I think it's because of these two reasons:

1) The lockouts
2) The beef/feud with Jim Balsillie. Bettman went to war to prevent Canada from getting a team then
Thanks given by: Highstyx , Highstyx , LordFerg13
Widow, I think it’s kind of customary to boo him when he appears but tonight seemed so savage
Thanks given by: Justaleafan , Justaleafan
(2019-06-21, 08:24 PM)poppabyrd Wrote: Widow, I think it’s kind of customary to boo him when he appears but tonight seemed so savage

Seemed pretty much the norm to me...

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by: nicky
(2019-06-21, 07:53 PM)Widowmaker Wrote: As I am watching the draft, I notice again how much Bettman gets jeered by the fans which is nothing new. Pretty much everywhere he goes whether it is at the draft or he is handing out the Stanley Cup he  seems to be generally despised and I am not sure why. 

Since Bettman became NHL commissioner in 1993 expansion fees has risen from 50 million to over 600 million which is what Seattle is expected to pay. Under his leadership the average value of NHL teams has risen from 150 million to 594 million with three teams (Toronto, Montreal, and the Rangers) being valued at 1.5 billion, he negotiated a 5.2 billion dollar Canadian TV deal, a 2 billion dollar U.S TV deal, started the trend of NHL players going to the Olympics, the salary cap, the financial assistance for Canadian teams that were struggling financially in the 1990’s.

Yes, there have been 3 work stoppages under his tenure, that said, I do admire the fact that he stood in ground especially in 2004/05 when he sacrificed the season to finally bring in the salary cap. IMO the cap was his biggest accomplishment as it has helped to create parity - No more do we have some teams like Rangers of the 1990’s who can have a massive payroll and can outbid other teams for their free agents. 

Considering how much the league has grown, the rise in revenues, and the salary cap, I guess I just find it odd to see how much he is hated.

Fans don't give two shits about that. We care about the game. It is now diluted.. big time. Now it's all about money and marketing and selling beer. He also grandstands about player safety and concussions. Yet, the most simple solution is totally ignored by this twit. Rock hard shoulder and elbow pads. he is lip service personified. I still believe the NHL should be run by guys who have PLAYED this game. D-uh!
 Proverbs 13:10
Thanks given by:
I think fans have been booing him for so long that we've all forgotten why we started doing it.  It's just become a tradition.

Also, he just has one of the world's most punchable faces.
I don't mind him, he handles the booing well. Last year in Vegas he got booed and his response was something like "this is proof that we made the right choice with this market".

Booing him is like tradition now, I don't think people know why they boo him, they just do but you're right he's been a good commissioner and has helped the game grow.
Thanks given by:
94/95 season. Non season. Ever since.
I have sex daily. I mean dyslexia.
Thanks given by: theDC
I like him.
Subban, voted most overrated player in the entire league by his peers. 
Thanks given by: Bong13 , Justaleafan , Nanuuk
(2019-06-21, 08:10 PM)TheNumber13 Wrote: I think it's because of these two reasons:

1) The lockouts
2) The beef/feud with Jim Balsillie. Bettman went to war to prevent Canada from getting a team then

He went to war to keep many floundering teams in Canada.
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
(2019-06-21, 10:53 PM)bchippie Wrote: I like him.

I like him too. Just pointing out when this started.
I have sex daily. I mean dyslexia.
Thanks given by:
because of the lockouts.

and his smug bs way of handling them.
(2019-06-21, 10:54 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:
(2019-06-21, 08:10 PM)TheNumber13 Wrote: I think it's because of these two reasons:

1) The lockouts

he sure did, people have short memories though.
Subban, voted most overrated player in the entire league by his peers. 
Thanks given by: Justaleafan , Justaleafan
(2019-06-21, 10:59 PM)bchippie Wrote:

1) The lockouts

He didnt do shit to save teams in canada. that was all media fed bs. 

He locked out an entire season to get a reward for the owners that took them 2 years to circumvent. He's going to lock out again to try and get more.

He has grown the game, the salary cap has worked out. but its now starting to become a problem again, the big market teams are still out performing the lower market ones. teams like Phoenix continue to be trash with terrible attendance and they don't do anything about it because it keeps the cap #'s down. 

He shouldn't be the one handing out the cup, there shouldnt be some mandatory picture with him. the celebration should start. 

he's a weasel.
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-21, 11:14 PM)Sasquatch Wrote:

1) The lockouts

He locked out an entire season to get a reward for the owners that took them 2 years to circumvent. He's going to lock out again to try and get more.

He has grown the game, the salary cap has worked out. but its now starting to become a problem again, the big market teams are still out performing the lower market ones. teams like Phoenix continue to be trash with terrible attendance and they don't do anything about it because it keeps the cap #'s down. 

He shouldn't be the one handing out the cup, there shouldnt be some mandatory picture with him. the celebration should start. 

he's a weasel.

He acts on behalf of the owners and does what they want.

The fact you blame him shows how good he is at his job.
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-21, 11:19 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:

1) The lockouts

he's a weasel.

Never said he was bad at his job. But there is still a big reason to hate him.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-21, 11:33 PM)Sasquatch Wrote:
(2019-06-21, 10:54 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: He went to war to keep many floundering teams in Canada.

he's a weasel.

Because he acts on the direction of the owners?
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-21, 11:50 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:
(2019-06-21, 11:33 PM)Sasquatch Wrote:
(2019-06-21, 10:59 PM)bchippie Wrote: he sure did, people have short memories though.

he's a weasel.

Because he acts on the direction of the owners?

Because during the Lockout seasons he gave 0 shits about the fans. and he still doesnt.  if he did he would be giving rights of games to sportsnet to show all the games outside the region. not region locking shit to sell more NHL packages. 

His job is to work for the owners. But he should be caring and giving a shit about the fans/game just as much. Otherwise the fans are going to dislike him, and really thats the reason they boo him everywhere he goes.
Thanks given by: