Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Ovie hit 60?
25g in 30g this season and he's been consistent all season. 

I definitely think he'll hit 50, but anyone reckon Ovechkin has one more 60g season left in the tank? 

Laine or Skinner (heck even Matthews) might score more but i don't think it's as likely as Ovechkin maintaining his current pace
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
AO will hit 50 again...dont think he'll hit 60.

Laine has been stuck on 21 goals, for 6 games now, and hasn't had more than 3 shots on goal in any of them.
Thanks given by:
Is he showing any signs of slowing down? Who knows how many more goals this guy can score in his career.

I'd like to see him catch Gretzky, if only to witness all the exploding heads. Grin
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
Do you think that would happen, Lime?

I would have thought people would be happy to see history. But now that I say it, it sounds naive.
Thanks given by:
I was thinking of the maple leaf flag waving anti-European crowd, but who knows, I suppose.
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-12, 10:16 AM)Limestoner Wrote: I was thinking of the maple leaf flag waving anti-European crowd, but who knows, I suppose.

Your prediction is definitely more viable than mine.
Thanks given by:
He doesn't need to catch Gretzky to be rightfully considered the greatest goal scorer to ever play the sport, IMO.

It would be amazing if he did, just so you could throw the era comparisons/projections out the window and let the total numbers speak for themselves, but I can't take anyone seriously when they suggest that OV with a wooden stick would struggle to score on Darren Pang, Andy Moog, Mike Vernon, Billy Smith and the rest of the 5'6 - 5'10" goaltenders who wore the equivalent to children's road hockey pads...and went to the All-Star game with a save percentage that would land you in the ECHL today.

People also seem to forget that multiple guys broke 100MPH with wooden twigs in the 90s. Guys routinely hit low-to-mid 90s at the All-Star games, and they're hitting mid-to-high 90s today. Guys went 4-for-4 in accuracy shooting with wooden sticks too. The highlight reels of guys picking corners in the 80s and 90s are there too. It wasn't that they weren't capable, it's just that they didn't HAVE to. There are tons of goals where the puck beats a goaltender in ways that you NEVER see today. Not just about size either...there was a lot of flat out HORRIBLE goaltending.

The velocity isn't REALLY up that much in relation to the size and ability of the current goaltenders. No denying the sticks are better, but to me, no matter how much harder a guy shoots, he still has to have the skill to get that shot off, and do it accurately. OV is ripping cross ice one-timers into a hole the size of a coffee cup, and people are crediting his stick. That's crazy to me.

To me it's never been harder to score goals, and the fact that OV is pushing for 60 as a 33 year old is far more impressive to me than Gretzky scoring 92 in the mid 80s.
Thanks given by:
The era comparison ignores things like Mike Bossy having his career ended because of his back and all the cross checks he had to endure. OV wouldn’t been protected by the league just standing there waiting for 1 timers. Imagine how many goals Bossy might have scored if he didn’t retire at age 30.
Just using Bossy because of his goals per game being higher and how much better would have been without the cross checks.
Don’t blame the butter for what the bread did
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-12, 09:30 AM)Limestoner Wrote: Is he showing any signs of slowing down? Who knows how many more goals this guy can score in his career.

I'd like to see him catch Gretzky, if only to witness all the exploding heads.  Grin

I don't imagine he can come really close to catching Gretzky - he's got to slow down at some point.

With that said, I've been saying for years, arguably the best goal scorer of all time.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-12, 10:21 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: He doesn't need to catch Gretzky to be rightfully considered the greatest goal scorer to ever play the sport, IMO.

It would be amazing if he did, just so you could throw the era comparisons/projections out the window and let the total numbers speak for themselves, but I can't take anyone seriously when they suggest that OV with a wooden stick would struggle to score on Darren Pang, Andy Moog, Mike Vernon, Billy Smith and the rest of the 5'6 - 5'10" goaltenders who wore the equivalent to children's road hockey pads...and went to the All-Star game with a save percentage that would land you in the ECHL today.

People also seem to forget that multiple guys broke 100MPH with wooden twigs in the 90s. Guys routinely hit low-to-mid 90s at the All-Star games, and they're hitting mid-to-high 90s today. Guys went 4-for-4 in accuracy shooting with wooden sticks too. The highlight reels of guys picking corners in the 80s and 90s are there too. It wasn't that they weren't capable, it's just that they didn't HAVE to. There are tons of goals where the puck beats a goaltender in ways that you NEVER see today. Not just about size either...there was a lot of flat out HORRIBLE goaltending.  

The velocity isn't REALLY up that much in relation to the size and ability of the current goaltenders. No denying the sticks are better, but to me, no matter how much harder a guy shoots, he still has to have the skill to get that shot off, and do it accurately. OV is ripping cross ice one-timers into a hole the size of a coffee cup, and people are crediting his stick. That's crazy to me.

To me it's never been harder to score goals, and the fact that OV is pushing for 60 as a 33 year old is far more impressive to me than Gretzky scoring 92 in the mid 80s.

How many goals does Gretzky score if he was always thinking shoot first?
Thanks given by:
I think he will get 50 but not 60

If Laine gets 50,   holy shit is that going to cost the Jets

Winnipeg & Toronto both majorly f***** up by not signing Laine,  Matthews & Marner last off season
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-12, 11:00 AM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:
(2018-12-12, 10:21 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: He doesn't need to catch Gretzky to be rightfully considered the greatest goal scorer to ever play the sport, IMO.

How many goals does Gretzky score if he was always thinking shoot first?

Too bad Gretzky has so many assists.

People start to think that AO is even remotely close to Gretzky.
Thanks given by: Viable

Before I go any further, I want to make it known that Wayne Gretzky is my favourite player of all time. He is the greatest player in relation to his peers that the hockey world has ever seen, and nobody will ever dominate the game the way he did. My room as a kid was filled with his posters, I still get goosebumps watching his highlights, I will argue til I'm blue in the face that he's greater than Bobby Orr, or Mario or anyone else in relation to their era/peers...but...

Watch these goals (and there are some absolutely beauties, don't me wrong) and honestly ask yourself, if it happened against my team tomorrow night,  how many of them would you say were ones that the goaltender DIDN'T misplay, badly?

Look at how far out the net the goaltender ends up on a lot of these....and not due to puck wizardry, just due to spectacularly bad goaltending by today's standards. 

Look how many times the goaltender's attempt at a save is doing little more than falling sideways, or backwards.

Look how many times they don't push side to side and stay square to the shooter, the actually turn sideways in their net. 

Look at how much net there is for him to put the puck into due to the size of the goaltender, his equipment and his positioning.  

Honestly, put that goalie in between the pipes for your favourite team tomorrow, and try to picture your TV not having beer all over it.

...and then do it again while watching this one. DON'T just watch Gretzky. He's mesmerizing, I know, but do your best to pay special attention to the defenders and goalies in these clips. If you aren't WTFing either the goalie or the defender in at least half of them, you need to watch more hockey. 

I'm not saying he couldn't score today, I'm just saying there's not a chance in a windstorm he scores 92, or even 60. 

There IS an element of Gretzky making guys look foolish too, I get that as well...I'm just saying he wouldn't make today's goalies look nearly as foolish as these guys, and in many cases, a highlight reel goal becomes a routine save.
Thanks given by:
You don't know your arse from a hole in the ground Bo. 
The year Gretzky scored 92 goals he scored his 50th in his 39th game of the 80 game season. One season he scored 215 points, including 52 goals.

Here: you need to look at this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ca...ne_Gretzky

Do yourself a favour and stop with the "my generation had all the best players" crap.
Thanks given by: Bo Dangles
Nothing could make me more sure of being correct than you vehemently disagreeing with me.

Thanks.
Thanks given by: Ryu65 , thebest41587 , thebest41587
(2018-12-12, 11:27 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote:

Before I go any further, I want to make it known that Wayne Gretzky is my favourite player of all time. He is the greatest player in relation to his peers that the hockey world has ever seen, and nobody will ever dominate the game the way he did. My room as a kid was filled with his posters, I still get goosebumps watching his highlights, I will argue til I'm blue in the face that he's greater than Bobby Orr, or Mario or anyone else in relation to their era/peers...but...

Watch these goals (and there are some absolutely beauties, don't me wrong) and honestly ask yourself, if it happened against my team tomorrow night,  how many of them would you say were ones that the goaltender DIDN'T misplay, badly?

Look at how far out the net the goaltender ends up on a lot of these....and not due to puck wizardry, just due to spectacularly bad goaltending by today's standards. 

Look how many times the goaltender's attempt at a save is doing little more than falling sideways, or backwards.

Look how many times they don't push side to side and stay square to the shooter, the actually turn sideways in their net. 

Look at how much net there is for him to put the puck into due to the size of the goaltender, his equipment and his positioning.  

Honestly, put that goalie in between the pipes for your favourite team tomorrow, and try to picture your TV not having beer all over it.

...and then do it again while watching this one. DON'T just watch Gretzky. He's mesmerizing, I know, but do your best to pay special attention to the defenders and goalies in these clips. If you aren't WTFing either the goalie or the defender in at least half of them, you need to watch more hockey. 

I'm not saying he couldn't score today, I'm just saying there's not a chance in a windstorm he scores 92, or even 60. 

There IS an element of Gretzky making guys look foolish too, I get that as well...I'm just saying he wouldn't make today's goalies look nearly as foolish as these guys, and in many cases, a highlight reel goal becomes a routine save.

Yeah, but all OV does is stand off to the side and tap his stick for a pass and a one-timer. Those goals don't really count that much either...

In all seriousness, I agree 100%. I'm an Oiler fan and consider Gretz to be the GOAT, but have no problem stating that OV is the greatest pure goal scorer of all time. The guy does it year after year after year in an era that has had every Tom, Dick and Harry complaining about the lack of goal scoring and trying to come up with BS ways to bring it back to the '80's.
Thanks given by:
Ovechkin isn't slowing down at all, I don't think he can break gretzky's 894, but I for sure think he will be the 2nd highest scoring player ever with over 800 goals

including this season and the next 3, I see no reason why he can put up another 200 goals to be honest

here's a list of the top 5 oldest 50 goal scorers

1. John Bucyk: 51 goals at age 35
2. Phil Esposito: 61 goals at age 33
3. Joe Mullen: 51 goals at age 32
4. Marcel Dionne: 56 goals at age 31
5. Vic Hadfield: 50 goals at age 31
Life... dreams... hope...
Where do they come from?
And where do they go...?

Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!

Thanks given by:
I don't think there is any way Ovi hits 60 if he keeps partying the way he does...
Thanks given by: Viable
Here ya go, Bo:
Greatest goal scorer ever, eh??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQfhLtXQwwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvcSSjgG9cQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUX55aFf4TI

LMAO. There are hundreds more of these all over the internet. I don't care how many goals he scores, he's a lousy hockey player.
Thanks given by:
Bo: Gretzky was the GOAT but his stats are inflated due to the era in which he played.
Viable: Oh, YEAH?! Check out these Gretzky stats!
(I already said they are incredible, just inflated due to his era...re-posting stats I am referring to does what, exactly?)

Bo: Ovechkin is the greatest pure goal scorer.
Viable: I don't care how many goals he scores, he sucks at backchecking, and is a lousy hockey player.
(Again, you're apparently acknowledging my position that he's a great goal scorer while offering rebuttals to points I never made)

Your replies make absolutely no sense, but if you want to continue arguing with yourself, countering points that you make up on my behalf, have at 'er, I guess.
Thanks given by: