Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Ovie hit 60?
So he's on pace for 73 goals this year, though he'd have to keep up his torrid pace for another 3 or 4 months to finish with 70, so I'll say he finishes with a more conservative 60 goals. That puts him at 667 goals in his career, 227 back of Gretzky. He'll be 34 at the start of the next season. I'll say he plays until he's 40 (which is probably unlikely, but who knows). That's seven more seasons and an average of 32 goals a season to catch Gretzky. If he's able to have two more really high end seasons and scores 50 each season, that puts the average for the back five seasons at 25 goals. If he can put in 50 goals for each of the next three seasons (hard to imagine doing that at 36, but whatever), then he'd need 19 goals a season in those last four seasons.

When you factor in health and of course age, I'd probably bet against him reaching Gretzky, but it's definitely a possibility. If he remains healthy over the next 2 or 3 years and continues to score at least 40 a year, I'm sure he's gonna be pushing hard to reach Gretzky's numbers.
Thanks given by:
You can see in his style of play he has become less reckless.
He has become more concerned with longevity.
He plays until he's 40, very easily.
And he will remain an elite goal scorer until at least 37.

There are no signs of him slowing down.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-14, 10:02 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Ovie with ANOTHER hattrick tonight.

Have you guys seen him backcheck though?

Cool Laugh
Thanks given by:
he has also lost 116 games due to lockout

how many lost goals is that??? 60 70 80???
Life... dreams... hope...
Where do they come from?
And where do they go...?

Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!

Thanks given by: MisterZ
(2018-12-15, 08:23 AM)Chip Wrote: You can see in his style of play he has become less reckless.
He has become more concerned with longevity.
He plays until he's 40, very easily.
And he will remain an elite goal scorer until at least 37.

There are no signs of him slowing down.

For sure. I'll go out on a limb and say that by the time he hangs them up, he'll be the all time leading goal scorer.
Thanks given by:
I just hope he forgets about scoring goals and becomes the NHL's all-time leading backchecker by the time he retires.  It's the only way he'll make it to the HoF.
Thanks given by: Superlube11 , Superlube11 , MisterZ
(2018-12-15, 01:11 PM)Fritz Wrote: I just hope he forgets about scoring goals and becomes the NHL's all-time leading backchecker by the time he retires.  It's the only way he'll make it to the HoF.

Shirley! You're trolling us!
---
"Obviously, probably, you know, scoring probably helps." - Carey Price
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-15, 01:11 PM)Fritz Wrote: I just hope he forgets about scoring goals and becomes the NHL's all-time leading backchecker by the time he retires.  It's the only way he'll make it to the HoF.

I gotta agree with this, but you know what they say, if you just concentrate on the little things in the game and play it the right way the goals will come, if he does a little bit better at backchecking maybe then he will score some goals and become a better player
Life... dreams... hope...
Where do they come from?
And where do they go...?

Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!

Thanks given by:
https://www.nhl.com/news/alex-ovechkin-e...-303059594

Great read. Noticed Ovie's shooting percentage is 22%, wayyyy higher than his career norms. His goal production will eventually drop but at 33 years old, he's having the longest point streak of his career and will most likely lead the league in goals by years end. I'm gonna make sure I watch as many caps games as I can (regular season). This guy is a living legend.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
I'll split the difference and say Ovie gets 55 this year. That's 26 more goals in the 50 remaining games they have. Very doable for him.

That puts him at 662 for his career. 232 behind Gretzky.

To pass Gretzky, he'd have to average 34 goals a year for another 7 years (age 40 season).

I remember having this discussion before on here 2-3-4 years ago, and presented an optimistic case, while knowing he's not going to do it. But he's already made it more interesting than I thought he would. The next 2-3 years will be fun to watch to see if the fall off happens and how bad it is.
Thanks given by:
One timer from the dot.
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot...rinse and repeat...

Legendary.

Best goal scorer from the dot in history.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-19, 07:12 PM)Chris D Wrote: One timer from the dot.
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot

Legendary.

Lol you have such an irrational hate on for Ovechkin, its hilarious. I don't have the energy to be that petty, just want to see players keep on doing great things. If scoring from the dot 636 times is so easy, why isn't everyone doing it?
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-19, 07:17 PM)bicboi Wrote:
(2018-12-19, 07:12 PM)Chris D Wrote: One timer from the dot.
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot

Legendary.

Lol you have such an irrational hate on for Ovechkin, its hilarious. I don't have the energy to be that petty, just want to see players keep on doing great things. If scoring from the dot 636 times is so easy, why isn't everyone doing it?

Yeah, no kidding.  This is the weirdest criticism of a player I have ever seen.  All he does is score goals using the best one-timer in hockey history? What a loser!

Not to mention the guy has proven to possess some puck skills and has also scored some incredibly beautiful goals.  He's not that one-dimensional, he's a skilled player.  His Matrix goal, or whatever you wanna' call it, is the best goal I have ever seen, lol.

Have to say, he's probably in my top three favorite players of all-time.  I am not sure how anyone can be so down is this dude, he's had such a fantastic career, and still going strong.
Thanks given by:
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot

Legendary.

Here are some highlights:

Maybe I'm blind or dumb but not a single one of those goals in these compilations was a one-timer goal. Those are incredible goals scored by an incredibly skilled generational goal scorer and anyone who says otherwise is just hating. Oh and to be clear he can also score amazing one-timer goals too.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-19, 07:36 PM)Fritz Wrote:
(2018-12-19, 07:17 PM)bicboi Wrote:
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot
One timer from the dot

Legendary.

Yeah, no kidding.  This is the weirdest criticism of a player I have ever seen.  All he does is score goals using the best one-timer in hockey history? What a loser!

Not to mention the guy has proven to possess some puck skills and has also scored some incredibly beautiful goals.  He's not that one-dimensional, he's a skilled player.  His Matrix goal, or whatever you wanna' call it, is the best goal I have ever seen, lol.

Have to say, he's probably in my top three favorite players of all-time.  I am not sure how anyone can be so down is this dude, he's had such a fantastic career, and still going strong.

agreed.. you don't have to like him, but he's a FAR better player than chrisd and viable (yes you two are in the same sentence OUCH) will ever admit.  Credibility lowered Happy
Thanks given by: thebest41587 , thebest41587
On a side note, loads of all time greats have individual shots that they are known for. Crosby has the best backhand I've ever seen but I'd never call it his only way to score. He's dangerous in every situation, just like Ovechkin
Thanks given by:
Phil Esposito has over 700. I'll bet he batted 350 of them in during scrambles around the net.

He is the best garbage collector of all time.
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by: FormalWare , FormalWare
Zero points for 8-track last night. He was busy back-checking........   Silly
"Stand up for yourself young fellow. Nobody else is going to do it for you" 
Thanks given by:
Ya, he's slowed down now to being on pace for a 70G/106P season - should the Caps look at a buyout in the spring if they can't move the contract with the max salary/cap retention?
Thanks given by:
In a related story, Nick Ritchie has continued his breakout season, with 3 assists (one of them was actually a PRIMARY assist) in his last 9 games. Thanks to Corey Perry not playing, Cam Fowler's injury, Andrew Cogliano falling off a statistical cliff, and Maxime Comtois being returned to his junior team, Ritchie is making a hard charge toward 8th in Ducks team scoring. The former 10th overall pick in 2014 is now definitively not the worst selection that the Ducks made in that draft. Take that, Matthew Berkovitz.

Pretty easy to see why this absolute force held out for the first 15 games of the season to secure the 1.5M he so richly deserved.

It's team-first Canadian fellas with two syllable last names like Ritchie that win you championships.
Thanks given by: