Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the Jets be elite in 2018/19?
Elite for me means a top 5 finish with all the fixings for a Cup winner.
Center- weakened by Stastny leaving, center still looks pretty damned good. They're led by Scheifele, who is emerging as one of the best in the NHL. Little, Lowry, Dano, Perreault and Roslovic give depth to both center and wings.
Wings- Laine, Wheeler and Ehlers are boosted by Connor.
D- Byfuglien, Chiarot and Trouba, with Myers and Kulikov- depth is covered by Morrow, along with some youth.
G- Hellebuyck and Brossoit.

The division- Central- is the best in the NHL. Nashville, Minnesota, Chicago, St. Louis, Colorado and Dallas will make it a tall order to repeat the success of last season.

Prediction: Jets make the playoffs as a Wild Card as injuries catch up to them.

What say you? The best Canadian team in the NHL has no fans on RATW besides Gerry Pigeon. Let's liven this place up a bit while Montreal, Vancouver and Ottawa suck and Calgary tries to find their way.
Thanks given by: Gerry Pigeon
I just hope Hellebuyck is the real deal and can repeat his previous season. I think this team has about 2 years before Buff and Wheeler stop playing at their peak. I think its them or the Preds winning the division this year
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
They have the lineup for sure but goaltending rules all - Hellebuyck has only been an upper echelon tender for the one year - the question is if he can repeat.
Thanks given by:
Anything can happen during the season but I think so.  They are loaded with talent.  Very few weaknesses up front or on the blueline.  Only question mark is in goal.  Can Helly repeat his Vezina finalist season or does he fall back to earth?

My guess is they finish 2nd in the Central again which probably means having to get by St.Louis and Nashville in the playoffs to get back to the conference finals.  Not an easy road but it is what it is.

Thanks given by:
Injury bug catches up to them?

This is the first year the injury bug didn't castrate them...

Kulikov missed 20 games
Scheif out 22 games
Trouba missed 28
Lowry missed just under half the year

The depth is what made the Jets as good as they were, and that isn't something that they've lost (Especially when you consider they have Appleton and Vasalainen available as forwards, or guys like Brendan Lemieux who can be a physical pain the backside, then on D, as I'll mention below, Sami Niku isn't even being listed as on the radar for the Jets this year yet).

Stastny was a trade day acquisition, they were already cemented as one of the top teams in the NHL when he showed up, it hurts losing him, but not enough to hurt their regular season. I can see them pulling off another one of these "what the hell" deals if they have a gap.

Helle has been stellar for a few years now, he just didn't have the team in front of them to support him, that is to say this past year was the first year they actually had a real system in place that was defensive minded. He'll be absolutely fine.

Enstrom out - this is a huge upgrade, the guy was made of glass and was a turnover machine in the defensive end (I expect to see Sami Niku join the big club this year)
Morrissey still needs to be signed, but, I don't think that'll be an issue

Honestly, anything short of winning the division would be an upset in my books.
Thanks given by:
Um, hi. I just tuned into the game - great score, up 2-1 over kings - dropped in here to chat with GP about how the jets are doing. No game thread? C'mon guys - I thought this was the jets year!
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-09, 08:50 PM)Sam S. Wrote: Um, hi. I just tuned into the game - great score, up 2-1 over kings - dropped in here to chat with GP about how the jets are doing. No game thread? C'mon guys - I thought this was the jets year!

I've hardly been here since the Habs started great this year.  But with our undersized Habs starting to look worse as the season grinds on, I thought I'd take a peek to see if Jets fans are supporting their very deserving team.

Apparently, there's room for improvement on the support front, at least on RATW.  No problems in the arena though.

Question marks persist with this club (what's up with Laine?), but the potential for a monster playoffs still exists, will for a few years yet...

Good luck Jets.  If my Habs don't make the playoffs (3 of the last 4 years should that come to pass), then I gotta have a Canadian team to cheer for, and Lord knows it can't be the Leafs...lol.
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-15, 03:17 PM)Gerry Pigeon Wrote:
(2018-10-09, 08:50 PM)Sam S. Wrote: Um, hi. I just tuned into the game - great score, up 2-1 over kings - dropped in here to chat with GP about how the jets are doing. No game thread? C'mon guys - I thought this was the jets year!

I've hardly been here since the Habs started great this year.  But with our undersized Habs starting to look worse as the season grinds on, I thought I'd take a peek to see if Jets fans are supporting their very deserving team.

Apparently, there's room for improvement on the support front, at least on RATW.  No problems in the arena though.

Question marks persist with this club (what's up with Laine?), but the potential for a monster playoffs still exists, will for a few years yet...

Good luck Jets.  If my Habs don't make the playoffs (3 of the last 4 years should that come to pass), then I gotta have a Canadian team to cheer for, and Lord knows it can't be the Leafs...lol.

Laine is going through a sophomore slump... only on pace for 38 goals this year.

He, along with Ehlers have been slit up, so that change is likely causing some disruption. Though, I think this team needs to be used more as a blended offense instead of set lines. They remind me of the 2010 Hawks where if it wasn't working, tap 3 forwards on the head and send them out, and the comeback was almost assured. 

My prediction for Laine, 45 goals this year. He'll pick it up, go on a bit of a run. 

Oh, and if I understood the convo I had the other day properly, they're really on him to try out a new stick, giving him better board control. His current stick is too flexible, so he's losing quite a few battles his size should see him win. Going back and forth between sticks is proving to be a challenge for him though (when you're a sniper, it's like trying to use a hand gun with the same efficiency).
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-15, 06:37 PM)theDC Wrote:

Laine is going through a sophomore slump... only on pace for 38 goals this year.

He, along with Ehlers have been slit up, so that change is likely causing some disruption. Though, I think this team needs to be used more as a blended offense instead of set lines. They remind me of the 2010 Hawks where if it wasn't working, tap 3 forwards on the head and send them out, and the comeback was almost assured. 

My prediction for Laine, 45 goals this year. He'll pick it up, go on a bit of a run. 

Oh, and if I understood the convo I had the other day properly, they're really on him to try out a new stick, giving him better board control. His current stick is too flexible, so he's losing quite a few battles his size should see him win. Going back and forth between sticks is proving to be a challenge for him though (when you're a sniper, it's like trying to use a hand gun with the same efficiency).

I understated what was about to happen.

8 goals in the first 18 games
11 goals in the last 4

His pace now? 71 goals lol (not bloody likely)
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-26, 10:09 AM)theDC Wrote:
(2018-11-15, 06:37 PM)theDC Wrote:

I understated what was about to happen.

8 goals in the first 18 games
11 goals in the last 4

His pace now? 71 goals lol (not bloody likely)

Yup, you certainly did.

71 goals not bloody likely?  You're probably right.  But 60-65?  I could see that's actually realistic!

This Jets team just needs to spend the year tuning for the playoffs.

What's the center situation look like without Stastny?  Is it settled, coming around, or an issue?
Thanks given by: