Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<<<<->>>> World Cup Mega Thread <<<<->>>>
(2018-07-16, 09:01 AM)Busby Wrote:
(2018-07-15, 11:29 AM)Canuxxx Wrote: Mbappe - World Cup Champ, Best Young Player, Golden Ball. And he's only 19.

Modric won the golden ball.  

I wrote that after the game. I spoke too soon lol.

Thanks given by:
(2018-07-16, 09:05 AM)theDC Wrote:
(2018-07-16, 04:21 AM)Arsenal Wrote: Thought the Croatians were excellent in all aspects except for goaltending.  Most impressed by their emotional control after two debatable officiating decisions cost them two goals.

Great tournament.

Which goals were debatable?

1 is a foul, the other the defender moves his hand to stop a ball in the box... honestly, it was about as clear a penalty as you could hope for in a game.
C'mon DC.  Cut me a little slack.  Greiz is a clever cheat, and it was ball to hand.  Per's shit luck that his arm was naturally moving down into the path of the ball.  On a different day, with a different official (Webb), there would be different calls.  VAR is not immune to subjective interpretation.
"Feeling silly and sublime", most of the time.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-16, 03:57 PM)Arsenal Wrote:
(2018-07-16, 09:05 AM)theDC Wrote:
(2018-07-16, 04:21 AM)Arsenal Wrote: Thought the Croatians were excellent in all aspects except for goaltending.  Most impressed by their emotional control after two debatable officiating decisions cost them two goals.

Great tournament.

Which goals were debatable?

1 is a foul, the other the defender moves his hand to stop a ball in the box... honestly, it was about as clear a penalty as you could hope for in a game.
C'mon DC.  Cut me a little slack.  Greiz is a clever cheat, and it was ball to hand.  Per's shit luck that his arm was naturally moving down into the path of the ball.  On a different day, with a different official (Webb), there would be different calls.  VAR is not immune to subjective interpretation.

A foul, is a foul, is a foul. Me stopping and having you run into me and knock me over, is a foul. There's nothing there.

Second, "shit's luck", he sees the ball go over the head and moves his hand to stop it as it was going to get past him if he didn't. It was a blatant hand ball.. worthy of a yellow... poor officiating missed it. Thank god there was a VAR review.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-16, 09:07 AM)theDC Wrote:
(2018-07-11, 03:53 PM)theDC Wrote:
(2018-07-11, 03:47 PM)CrazyCanuckMan Wrote: Croatia just needs to let France take a 1-0 lead and they should win the match.

Jusr realized Belgium would play England in final if both had won. Has there ever been a final where both teams came from same group?

France isn't Japan or England. If France go up 1-0, France win.

Bump Silly
Yeah yeah lol
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-16, 01:45 PM)Busby Wrote:
(2018-07-11, 03:47 PM)CrazyCanuckMan Wrote: Croatia just needs to let France take a 1-0 lead and they should win the match.

Jusr realized Belgium would play England in final if both had won. Has there ever been a final where both teams came from same group?

Yes, twice in the world cup.  54 and 62 I think.

Nice, thanks for the info busby
Thanks given by:
Everything looks deliberate in slow motion.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-17, 07:14 AM)miltonred Wrote: Everything looks deliberate in slow motion.

Um? No it doesn't? 

What does look deliberate, is when someone does something deliberate.
Thanks given by:
I know exactly what milt means
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-17, 07:47 AM)theDC Wrote:
(2018-07-17, 07:14 AM)miltonred Wrote: Everything looks deliberate in slow motion.

Um? No it doesn't? 

But it does.
In the case you are talking about, deliberately (or instinctively) moving your arm happens in a fraction of a second, much faster than the player can even think about a move.
Show it in slow motion and he presto, you can almost hear Robert Downey Jnr. narrating it (ala Sherlock Holmes slo mo fist fighting scenes...)
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-17, 10:47 AM)miltonred Wrote:
(2018-07-17, 07:47 AM)theDC Wrote:

Um? No it doesn't? 

But it does.
In the case you are talking about, deliberately (or instinctively) moving your arm happens in a fraction of a second, much faster than the player can even think about a move.
Show it in slow motion and he presto, you can almost hear Robert Downey Jnr. narrating it (ala Sherlock Holmes slo mo fist fighting scenes...)

Instinctively moving your arm to stop a ball is deliberate. It may not be narrated deliberate as you've indicated, but a footballer moving his arm to stop a shot it absolutely intentional.

I like the reference though, and playing it back in slo-mo with RDJ's narration, I'm even more convinced that he did it deliberately. This is a pro athlete who's reactions are at the very highest level, he saw the ball miss, and threw his arm downwards to stop it from getting past him. 

Basically, if you have enough time to move your hand to get in front of the ball, you have enough time to not do it. And, as a footballer, his instincts are not likely to move your hand/arm in front of the ball.
Thanks given by:
I guess we are never going to agree on this, until its a Man United player, then you'll come to your senses.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-17, 12:13 PM)miltonred Wrote: I guess we are never going to agree on this, until its a Man United player, then you'll come to your senses.

Or until a penalty is given to Liverpool, then you'll come to yours!
Thanks given by:
Everything looks intentional to us in slow mo simply because of the way we process the information. Every foul in slo mo looks like a dive and like the player is being a *****.
Thanks given by: