Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup Thread
Hopefully the USA missing the WC will give Americans an idea of how far away from the elites they are, because I feel they enter every WC and Americans have these ridiculous expectations, when they really should never be expected to go any further then making it out of their group.

I could probably name 30 countries easily that are better then the USA.

Anyone see that Chile missed out? There's a country that would crush the Americans.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
(2017-10-11, 05:28 PM)bicboi Wrote:
(2017-10-11, 03:22 PM)Busby Wrote: Shocking?  Naw mate....did you see any of their other games?  They had this coming a mile off and I'm very happy it's happened.

A nation where sports and athletes are the pinnacle of the social ladder shouldn't have this problem.  There's no excuse for it. You have their coach sitting there saying nothing needs changing, which is comical.  Everything needs changing.  They had HUGE problems (and have had) for years, but skated by in qualifying for the World Cup in a region that's basically a gimmie.  CONCACAF gets 3.5 qualifying spots (fourth being a playoff) in a group of countries where really only Mexico has any pedigree is stunning to me.  The US should be ashamed of themselves top to bottom, not because they didn't qualify, but because they didn't absolutely dominate everything football related.

Frankly, the US should be as good as Brazil with the resources they have and the population.

This will set them back a good long way.  I feel for Pulisic...the best soccer player the US has ever produced, and the regular folks will need to wait five years to see him on TV.  And yet, I'm certain a good number of regular folks know nothing of Pulisic and will have to wait that five year period in blissful ignorance.

The kids 19 and has ways to go Busby. The USA team is aging out with its previous core (Bradely, Dempsy, heck Donovan's been gone a while). They barely have any talent after Pulisic which is sad considering their resources.

Well he is only 19, but he's head and shoulders better than anyone on that team.  Keep in mind he's a huge part of Dortmunds recent successes and he was third top scorer in all of CONCACAF qualifying.  I'd wager he's reaching his peak powers right now, which makes this all the more devastating.  A player of his caliber should get to four world cups in his career. 

I agree though that there aren't too many top players coming behind him.  The US will certainly get bodies, but the MLS has a lot to be accountable for here in terms of developing top talent.  The league is two generations old and right now their claim to fame is Freddy Adu, Clint Dempsey and Tim Howard basically.  

The game isn't in USA culture sadly, and the USA isn't all that embracing of immigrant culture.
Thanks given by:
(2017-10-10, 06:44 PM)Busby Wrote: These power house nations with the great talent only have themselves to blame frankly.  Argentina and Holland, along with Italy (even though they're in the playoffs) really deserve their lot.  

I think the Messi/Ronaldo debate is as dumb as it gets, but you do have to consider the international performance.  Messi set the bar quite high with his Barcelona form, but has been kinda underwhelming for Argentina.  The U20 World Cup and the 08 Olympics (both youth tournaments) were it really.  

He's also, for some reason, not loved like Ronaldo is for the National Team.  

I'd rather not see Argentina at the next world cup if they're going to play shite football.  International football is already pretty bad, we don't need to see Messi playing like a regular human for six matches.

To be fair, Italy had Spain in their Qualifying group. Had they won in Spain, they get through and it's Spain in the playoff. Even if the draw versus Macedonia was a win they'd still need win a match vs. Spain. While they knocked them off in the Euro - they didn't have Conte's tactics. With 23 pts and +13 GD they would have won 3 of the other groups.

Chalk it up to the dumb FIFA rankings. Somehow Romania ranked ahead of them.

But the playoff is far from a sure thing. Especially if they draw one the Irelands.
Thanks given by:
(2017-10-12, 10:03 AM)Busby Wrote:
(2017-10-11, 05:28 PM)bicboi Wrote:
(2017-10-11, 03:22 PM)Busby Wrote: Shocking?  Naw mate....did you see any of their other games?  They had this coming a mile off and I'm very happy it's happened.

A nation where sports and athletes are the pinnacle of the social ladder shouldn't have this problem.  There's no excuse for it. You have their coach sitting there saying nothing needs changing, which is comical.  Everything needs changing.  They had HUGE problems (and have had) for years, but skated by in qualifying for the World Cup in a region that's basically a gimmie.  CONCACAF gets 3.5 qualifying spots (fourth being a playoff) in a group of countries where really only Mexico has any pedigree is stunning to me.  The US should be ashamed of themselves top to bottom, not because they didn't qualify, but because they didn't absolutely dominate everything football related.

Frankly, the US should be as good as Brazil with the resources they have and the population.

This will set them back a good long way.  I feel for Pulisic...the best soccer player the US has ever produced, and the regular folks will need to wait five years to see him on TV.  And yet, I'm certain a good number of regular folks know nothing of Pulisic and will have to wait that five year period in blissful ignorance.

The kids 19 and has ways to go Busby. The USA team is aging out with its previous core (Bradely, Dempsy, heck Donovan's been gone a while). They barely have any talent after Pulisic which is sad considering their resources.

Well he is only 19, but he's head and shoulders better than anyone on that team.  Keep in mind he's a huge part of Dortmunds recent successes and he was third top scorer in all of CONCACAF qualifying.  I'd wager he's reaching his peak powers right now, which makes this all the more devastating.  A player of his caliber should get to four world cups in his career. 

I agree though that there aren't too many top players coming behind him.  The US will certainly get bodies, but the MLS has a lot to be accountable for here in terms of developing top talent.  The league is two generations old and right now their claim to fame is Freddy Adu, Clint Dempsey and Tim Howard basically.  

The game isn't in USA culture sadly, and the USA isn't all that embracing of immigrant culture.

Argh, you brought up Freddy Adu and it brings up memories of me trying to support him when he played for Benefica. I definitely agree with the rest of your post, MLS better address their development system if they want international success for their players.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by: