Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Juniors
After the eighth goal I was expecting to see a lot less of the top players. I LOVE Canada, but I'm not in favour of running up the score. Lighten up, please Tim.
Thanks given by:
Lafreniere had no points?  Confused
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-26, 09:56 PM)fogtown Wrote: man watching people in the stands freak out with every goal makes me hate canadians just a little. Imagine being at a harlem Globetrotters game and losing your mind with each basket. This outcome was NEVER in doubt. Canucks need to chill.

The problem isn't the fans... trust me, these people paid big bucks to watch this game live and in the "spirit" of the holidays I don't have an issue with the odd person Woooo Hoooing a Canadian goal ( or 14 )..  Laugh 

The problem is...

Since this tourney started, there's been a total of 6 teams that have won this thing, Russia, Canada, USA, Finland, Sweden and the Czechs... The Slovaks have finished 3rd , twice... This is going back 42 years. Further to the point, Russia and Canada have won 30 out of these 42.

Teams like the Belarusians, the Danes, the Kazakhs and a few others are basically non entities used to fill out the tournament. 

IMO, this should be, at most, an 8 team tournament... and even then, we'll likely see a few blowouts.

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-27, 12:38 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:
(2018-12-26, 09:56 PM)fogtown Wrote: man watching people in the stands freak out with every goal makes me hate canadians just a little. Imagine being at a harlem Globetrotters game and losing your mind with each basket. This outcome was NEVER in doubt. Canucks need to chill.

The problem isn't the fans... trust me, these people paid big bucks to watch this game live and in the "spirit" of the holidays I don't have an issue with the odd person Woooo Hoooing a Canadian goal ( or 14 )..  Laugh 

The problem is...

Since this tourney started, there's been a total of 6 teams that have won this thing, Russia, Canada, USA, Finland, Sweden and the Czechs... The Slovaks have finished 3rd , twice... This is going back 42 years. Further to the point, Russia and Canada have won 30 out of these 42.

Teams like the Belarusians, the Danes, the Kazakhs and a few others are basically non entities used to fill out the tournament. 

IMO, this should be, at most, an 8 team tournament... and even then, we'll likely see a few blowouts.
I agree with this.  Although because of $$ we'll never see it.
Thanks given by:
Give me a break, any host country's fans would celebrate like that. You pay the money, have your fun. I watch the players when the score is getting out of hand, they toned down celebrating considerably. Classy on their part, but you can't not try. That would be insulting the opponent even more IMO. I find these games a tad boring, bring on the medal rounds.
Thanks given by: Mavid
There was a time when a team like Finland was a doormat at the international level but they're now producing high end players and especially in goal. The Americans were a basket case once but now they're a force due to the way they run the U.S. National Team Development Program.

The various national programs get funded from the revenues from this tournament that get funneled into local programs across the world. The score was lopsided but Denmark is producing NHL players and the sport is growing in that country. The money that Denmark gets for playing in the tournament can only help the sport of hockey and not hurt it.

Canada isn't a soccer country but talk to any player who got their butt kicked on the international level in that sport when they wore the Canadian Kit they will say that the cherished the international experience by playing against the best even if the results were FAR less than desirable.
Thanks given by: Ryu65 , Ryu65
as long as goal differential is a tiebreak...running up the score will be a thing. You can't let up...even when up by a dozen.
Thanks given by: Captain aHab , Captain aHab
(2018-12-27, 01:53 PM)topgun Wrote: There was a time when a team like Finland was a doormat at the international level but they're now producing high end players and especially in goal. The Americans were a basket case once but now they're a force due to the way they run the U.S. National Team Development Program.

The various national programs get funded from the revenues from this tournament that get funneled into local programs across the world. The score was lopsided but Denmark is producing NHL players and the sport is growing in that country. The money that Denmark gets for playing in the tournament can only help the sport of hockey and not hurt it.

Canada isn't a soccer country but talk to any player who got their butt kicked on the international level in that sport when they wore the Canadian Kit they will say that the cherished the international experience by playing against the best even if the results were FAR less than desirable.

Excellent points and I was thinking the same thing after reading some of the comments in this thread. This is the only way for these young players from countries like Denmark will know what it's like to play at this level and what it takes. They will only use this loss so motivation to get better and improve their system back home to develop better players over the years.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-27, 01:53 PM)topgun Wrote: There was a time when a team like Finland was a doormat at the international level but they're now producing high end players and especially in goal. The Americans were a basket case once but now they're a force due to the way they run the U.S. National Team Development Program.

Is the money evenly distributed?

Finland has been producing quality hockey players for quite some time...
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:

The problem is...

Only 8 countries have ever won the soccer World Cup.  Should they only invite 10-12 teams?  I think there's too many teams now, but its good to have a bigger field than just those who have won it before.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-28, 09:19 AM)RyeRocks Wrote:

The problem is...

Only 8 countries have ever won the soccer World Cup.  Should they only invite 10-12 teams?  I think there's too many teams now, but its good to have a bigger field than just those who have won it before.

These kinds of championships are sometimes the only venue countries have for legitimately measuring their progress against real competition.  I remember when my kids were little and a really good team from our town went to Michigan to play.  This team had won everything in our league in convincing fashion.  They were humbled at that tournament.  
Back to the WJC, how does a team from Kazakhstan become better when they never play the top teams in the world except at one annual tournament?  So yes, you need these teams at the tournament but these countries need to find a way to play top competition more often and to bring in top development people to help them.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-28, 10:10 AM)GloryYrs70s Wrote: Back to the WJC, how does a team from Kazakhstan become better when they never play the top teams in the world except at one annual tournament?

Let me turn that around Glory, what is to be gained by being repeatedly annihilated in a tournament your team is not competitive in?

The way they become better is with better coaching and skills development programs put in place for kids at a young age. These are organizational things and are not learned by playing in tournaments like this.

The only possible benefit to the players and the program by participating would be as a measurement of where they are at if they feel they on on the cusp of becoming competitive.

Outside of that there is zero benefit to playing against teams who are head and shoulders better than you.
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-28, 11:47 AM)Limestoner Wrote:
(2018-12-28, 10:10 AM)GloryYrs70s Wrote: Back to the WJC, how does a team from Kazakhstan become better when they never play the top teams in the world except at one annual tournament?

Let me turn that around Glory, what is to be gained by being repeatedly annihilated in a tournament your team is not competitive in?

The way they become better is with better coaching and skills development programs put in place for kids at a young age. These are organizational things and are not learned by playing in tournaments like this.

The only possible benefit to the players and the program by participating would be as a measurement of where they are at if they feel they on on the cusp of becoming competitive.

Outside of that there is zero benefit to playing against teams who are head and shoulders better than you.

On a micro basis I think you're completely right, but on a macro basis I think they have to be there. It's just as much of a development tool, if not more, for those running the organization(s) as it is for the players themselves. It wasn't too long ago that the likes of Switzerland or Germany were everybody's doormat and they are now showing progress to at least ice reasonably competitive teams that the power houses can't sleep on. They may never truly threaten Can/US/Russia/Swe/Fin, but progressive development is a long play.
Thanks given by:
I don't really agree with that. When I get killed in tennis by my much better friends, its still a learning experience, and my game improves when I play better players. It greatly highlights areas that I didn't realize were problem areas until a much better player exposes them.
Thanks given by: Ryu65 , topgun , MisterZ
(2018-12-28, 09:19 AM)RyeRocks Wrote:

The problem is...

Rye, 

I know how many teams have won at the World Cup. I also know that there's only been a grand total of 21 World Cups played. In those 21 World Cups, a total of 13 different countries have won or finished as runners up. Several other nations have finished in the top 4.

So, to answer your question, NO... Inviting 10 or 12 teams to the World Cup of Football would be a tad... silly.

My point had to do with the blowouts we tend to see at the junior level on almost a yearly basis.

You RARELY see a blowout game in the World Cup of Football...  and again, it's only every 4 years.

Thanks given by:
Don't forget these lower teams got promoted to this level from finishing in the top of the tier 2 level. After this tourny they will get sent back down and another two teams will replace them next year. It's just a cycle for the lower teams with the odd one sticking around a little longer. Gives them a chance to get better if they want to stick with the big boys
Thanks given by:
Nothing wrong with the set up the way it is.

Teams like Demark and Kazakistan know they are basically going to get their asses kicked and probably relegated.

Maybe Poland and France get in next year, then THEY get their asses kicked.

OR they might surprise in a game or two.

Kazakistan beat Canada about 20 years ago.

Anyone remember
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-28, 07:01 PM)zapzac Wrote: Nothing wrong with the set up the way it is.

Teams like Demark and Kazakistan know they are basically going to get their asses kicked and probably relegated.

Maybe Poland and France get in next year, then THEY get their asses kicked.

OR they might surprise in a game or two.

Kazakistan beat Canada about 20 years ago.

Anyone remember

No, it's really no big deal if they have a couple of door mats in the tournament.. My response had more to do with people complaining about a few Canadian fans celebrating goals, even though the game was clearly out of hand.

Basically, we have 8 competitive junior nations now, Canada, Russia, Czechs, Slovaks, Swedes, Finns, USA and Switzerland. Then there's the rest... ( and the Slovaks and Swiss aren't always ultra competitive, but they have their moments )

I WISH a few of the others caught up, at the junior level, making the tournament even more competitive and fun to watch, but for the past 40+ years that hasn't really happened and I don't expect that to change any time soon.  

Anyways, if I bought tickets to a WJC game and went to it over the holidays, I would be cheering every flippin time I had a chance... I wouldn't be an idiot about it, but a good stand up and high five with your bud... Nothin wrong with that.

Thanks given by:
What a horrible song they chose for the Team Canada Junior team intro..yuck

Anyway, SMASH THE RUSSIANS...!!!!
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
I hate to say it, but Noah Dobson has looked the best of all the d-men from last year's draft in this tournament. Yes, even better than Hughes and much better than Bouchard. Can skate, move the puck and other teams' forwards hate it when he's out there. He just looks like a #1 guy.
Thanks given by: