Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Juniors
Well, CTS, your opinion didn't/doesn't line up with that of the two forum experts so, of course, they will belittle you, passive aggressively attack you, tell you that you know nothing about hockey and that your posts are irrelevant.
Thanks given by: Bong13 , CTS , topgun
It’s become nothing but a cash cow

It should always be hosted by non NHL cities
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-31, 09:09 PM)Canucksfansince1989 Wrote: I hate to say it, but Noah Dobson has looked the best of all the d-men from last year's draft in this tournament. Yes, even better than Hughes and much better than Bouchard. Can skate, move the puck and other teams' forwards hate it when he's out there. He just looks like a #1 guy.

Dobson looked good the other day but i still would much rather have Quinn Hughes. Hughes is so dynamic, it feels like something special is going to happen eveeytime he touches the puck. His passing/playmaking is elite and i could watch that guy skate all day. One of the best skaters i've ever seen. 

A bit off topic, you think Pettersson's numbers are great now? he is doing what he is doing without a defence that can set him up with optimal looks. Wait until he has Quinn Hughes feeding him.

Thanks given by:
(2019-01-02, 11:20 AM)Bong13 Wrote: It’s become nothing but a cash cow

It should always be hosted by non NHL cities

I think this year the tournament has been handled well. The games have been spread around in Victoria, Kelowna and Langley in a addition to Vancouver. Smaller centres hosting games is a good thing but you still need a big venue. TSN pays the IIHF for the broadcasting and Hockey Canada pays the IIHF top dollar to host the tournament. The IIHF money is split equally among the membership. 

Hockey Canada pumps the money back into youth hockey.
Thanks given by:
All games in the preliminary round were played in two rinks. One in Victoria, and Rogers Centre in downtown Vancouver. Every game from here on out will be played at Rogers Centre.

You are talking about pre-tournament exhibition games perhaps?
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-02, 12:38 PM)Limestoner Wrote: All games in the preliminary round were played in two rinks. One in Victoria, and Rogers Centre in downtown Vancouver. Every game from here on out will be played at Rogers Centre.

You are talking about pre-tournament exhibition games perhaps?

Yes, some pre-tournament games were played in Langley and Kelowna.
Thanks given by:
I thought the game NYE was a medal round game imagine my delight when I see there is lots more games to be played..man its rough to get old..
º¤ø ¸„ø¤GO HABS GOø¤º°¨¨¨°º¤
Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

Thanks given by:
From our friends at EOTP:

Team Canada projected lineup
Forwards 
Left Wing  Centre  Right Wing
#14 Maxime Comtois #8 Cody Glass #21 Owen Tippett
#26 Morgan Frost #27 Barrett Hayton  #20 Brett Leason
#15 Shane Bowers  #11 Jaret Anderson-Dolan  #17 Nick Suzuki
#9 Joseph Veleno  #16 MacKenzie Entwistle  #23 Jack Studnicka
#22 Alexis Lafrenière

Defencemen
Left Defence  Right Defence
#18 Markus Phillips #2 Evan Bouchard
#3 Josh Brook #5 Ian Mitchell
#24 Ty Smith #6 Noah Dobson

Goaltenders
#1 Mikey DiPietro
#31 Ian Scott

Team Finland projected lineup
Forwards
Left Wing Centre Right Wing
#23 Linus Nyman #19 Rasmus Kupari #10 Aleksi Heponiemi
#24 Kaapo Kakko #29 Anton Lundell #20 Eeli Tolvanen
#25 Aarne Talvitie #22 Santeri Virtanen #27 Jesse Ylönen
#28 Sami Moilanen #12 Samuli Vainionpää #13 Valtteri Puustinen
#18 Teemu Engberg

Defencemen
Left Defence  Right Defence
#15 Henri Jokiharju  #34 Ville Heinola
#2 Oskari Laaksonen  #7 Urho Vaakanainen
#3 Toni Utunen  #21 Otto Latvala
#36 Anttoni Honka

Goaltenders
#31 Filip Lindberg
#1 Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/world...es-lineups

Finns made us look ordinary, beating us 5-2 in a pre-tourney tilt. I'm not sold on our goalies, so we'll see what happens. Finns were the first European nation to embrace 'Canadian-style' hockey, and love to remind us (and Don Cherry) that. 

Should be a good game. Both teams are legitimate gold medal contenders (none of the other quarter finals can boast this).
Thanks given by:
Is it concerning that Lefreniere is getting scratched? He was called the 'next one' by many experts
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-02, 01:13 PM)CTS Wrote: Is it concerning that Lefreniere is getting scratched?   He was called the 'next one'  by many experts

This is why a year in junior hockey age makes such a huge difference. He's playing against older players. It's also why scouts discount the higher stats put up by 20 year old junior players who are playing against 16 or 17 year olds.

AF will be fine. Next year he'll be playing a lot with 1st line minutes at the WJC.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-02, 01:13 PM)CTS Wrote: Is it concerning that Lefreniere is getting scratched? He was called the 'next one' by many experts

He did little to impress me at the Hilinka, Gretzky tournament this summer
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-02, 01:19 PM)topgun Wrote:
(2019-01-02, 01:13 PM)CTS Wrote: Is it concerning that Lefreniere is getting scratched?   He was called the 'next one'  by many experts

This is why a year in junior hockey age makes such a huge difference. He's playing against older players. It's also why scouts discount the higher stats put up by 20 year old junior players who are playing against 16 or 17 year olds.

AF will be fine. Next year he'll be playing a lot with 1st line minutes at the WJC.

^ This. The kid is just a kid.
Subban, voted most overrated player in the entire league by his peers. 
Thanks given by:

He's not even draft eligible until 2020.

There are generally very few draft eligible players on Team Canada let alone one as young as this kid. Most players on Team Canada are already drafted.
Thanks given by:
I'm sure he'll be an excellent player, but I will say that in the little bit I've seen him play in the WJHC and Hlinka (super small sample size), I haven't been overly impressed. Not disappointed per say, but in relation to the hype, not really impressed.

As far as the WJHC specifically are concerned, I was also not blown away by a guy that goes by the name of McDavid in his first run with them, so yeah, the whole age thing is a VERY real factor.
Thanks given by:
I wish we see a healthy Jack Hughes. Kakko has looked great so far. In my eyes the gap between the two has narrowed, if not a toss up.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-02, 11:34 AM)Canuxxx Wrote:
(2018-12-31, 09:09 PM)Canucksfansince1989 Wrote: I hate to say it, but Noah Dobson has looked the best of all the d-men from last year's draft in this tournament. Yes, even better than Hughes and much better than Bouchard. Can skate, move the puck and other teams' forwards hate it when he's out there. He just looks like a #1 guy.

Dobson looked good the other day but i still would much rather have Quinn Hughes. Hughes is so dynamic, it feels like something special is going to happen eveeytime he touches the puck. His passing/playmaking is elite and i could watch that guy skate all day. One of the best skaters i've ever seen. 

A bit off topic, you think Pettersson's numbers are great now? he is doing what he is doing without a defence that can set him up with optimal looks. Wait until he has Quinn Hughes feeding him.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not crying over that pick. It’s just that every time I see Dobson out there, he moves the puck out of danger so confidently and looks smooth and confident. In another year,  he is going to be doing what Chabot did in his last World Jrs.

I am still bullish on Hughes. But Dobson has looked sensational so far.
Thanks given by:
Switzerland is officially for real.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-02, 06:22 PM)GloryYrs70s Wrote: Switzerland is officially for real.

Wow, if Canada wins I believe they get Swiss now on their road to the finals.  This has to be one of the greatest upsets in the World Juniors.
Thanks given by:
Is anybody surprised by Sweden at this point? They have the poorest world junior coaching out of all the major countries. Look at last year’s team. They were far more talented than the Canadian team that they lost to. And somehow they managed to lose. Not surprising when they were playing the Swedish Elite League MVP and this year’s Calder front runner on the second line while giving top minutes to medal tosser Lias Andersson and 2016 Draftbust Alex Nylander.
Thanks given by:
With us always going away over the holidays, I always miss the preliminary games which is too bad as watching the QF game makes me remember how much I love this tournament and how great the pace always is.

Entertaining 1st period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by: