Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your dog and house guests
For those of you that have some type of animal in the house (dogs come to mind right away) what are your house rules for them? 

When guests come over, do these rules change? 

My dog is allowed pretry much everywhere except bathrooms or by the kitchen table when we eat. Whrn guests come over, we try to keep everything the same since our dog loves meeting people. He won't jump on them or anything but he'll wag his tail and want to be near them to see if they give him head rubs.

For people that are scared of dogs or concerned about allergies, my dog is usually the one to help em get ovet the fear or realize that some dogs are hypoallergenic. 90% people are chill but I have a handful of uncles that scream if he's in the same room so I'll take him to the basemenr abd chill with him untim they leave. 

Some people just came over and they love him. He's getting head rubs, guests are comfy, and all is well. Got me thinking though, what are the rules/situation like at your home for your pets and when people come over?
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Your house, your rules, and guests should be prepared for your pet. Having said that, your dog should be well trained enough not to jump up on them or incessantly bark or be in the eating area. When our dog was alive she knew when to stop a certain behaviour or she might find herself locked in a bedroom.
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-16, 05:56 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: Your house, your rules, and guests should be prepared for your pet. Having said that, your dog should be well trained enough not to jump up on them or incessantly bark or be in the eating area. When our dog was alive she knew when to stop a certain behaviour or she might find herself locked in a bedroom.

I find with most visits to places with dogs, this happens immediately upon my ring of the doorbell.
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-16, 05:57 PM)poppabyrd Wrote:
(2019-04-16, 05:56 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: Your house, your rules, and guests should be prepared for your pet. Having said that, your dog should be well trained enough not to jump up on them or incessantly bark or be in the eating area. When our dog was alive she knew when to stop a certain behaviour or she might find herself locked in a bedroom.

I find with most visits to places with dogs, this happens immediately upon my ring of the doorbell.

I've found that most dogs run to the door, but only the small dogs bark. My doodle is 100 pounds and just sits near the door wagging his tail. He usually expects my folks to come home from work or friends. The only commotion is his tail wagging at a lethal velocity. My friends that have 70+ points dogs are the same.

The one's with little fuery friends is next level though lol very loud and defensive until you enter and they realize everything is good
Thanks given by:
Oh I don't mind too much, I let them smell my hand and they quickly lose interest. But I do get it when people don't dig that kind of welcome
Thanks given by:
well my dog is well behaved but I make sure he isnt a pain as he likes to greet everyone really good.
cfl
Thanks given by:
Dog either goes in the basement, garage or outside.

We have some super delicate type friends who claim to be 'allergic ' so I've even taken our dog to my mom or dads for a few days
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-16, 05:46 PM)bicboi Wrote: For those of you that have some type of animal in the house (dogs come to mind right away) what are your house rules for them? 

When guests come over, do these rules change? 

My dog is allowed pretry much everywhere except bathrooms or by the kitchen table when we eat. Whrn guests come over, we try to keep everything the same since our dog loves meeting people. He won't jump on them or anything but he'll wag his tail and want to be near them to see if they give him head rubs.

For people that are scared of dogs or concerned about allergies, my dog is usually the one to help em get ovet the fear or realize that some dogs are hypoallergenic. 90% people are chill but I have a handful of uncles that scream if he's in the same room so I'll take him to the basemenr abd chill with him untim they leave. 

Some people just came over and they love him. He's getting head rubs, guests are comfy, and all is well. Got me thinking though, what are the rules/situation like at your home for your pets and when people come over?

Bic. What kind of dog do you have..? 

We have a beautiful Black Lab/Border Collie that has a personality that people just howl over.When you come in our front door his bed is about 6' from the front door in our living room and if you don't acknowledge him in under 30 seconds he starts to vocalize like he is trying to say something.! lol it is hysterical and the best part is he is a rescue dog,we have had him about 5 years now.
oh yeah,back to the topic at hand.my house ,my dog and if you don't like dogs or big dogs.? get over it.! i wouldn't own a friggin man eater so they can relax.I'm looking at my dog right now,he just came in from outside,walked by me looking for a rub or a scratch and now has buggared off to his bed again.

A Doodle..i just read what kind you have..lol
Thanks given by:
I encourage guests ( the few I get) to bring there own pets if they come over
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
Thanks given by: Nanuuk , Nanuuk
(2019-04-16, 07:31 PM)Bong13 Wrote: I encourage guests ( the few I get) to bring there own pets if they come over

Not sure about that one Bong. My Mother in laws dog pretty much lives here when ever they travel and the little turd pisses and shits everywhere its not supposed to and barks like a friggin crazy dog.
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-16, 07:37 PM)RATW-Leafaholic Wrote:
(2019-04-16, 07:31 PM)Bong13 Wrote: I encourage guests ( the few I get) to bring there own pets if they come over

Not sure about that one Bong. My Mother in laws dog pretty much lives here when ever they travel and the little turd pisses and shits everywhere its not supposed to and barks like a friggin crazy dog.

As much as I love having several dogs running about, sometimes people don't do a decent job on basic house training. My cousin brings over his Jack Russell-Beagle mix. She's a sweetie that loves giving kisses but she pisses herself if she gets excited...she's always excited
Thanks given by:
We have a very large dog.  A Newfy weighing in over a 130lbs.  He is a gentle giant and does not jump up on anybody or bark.  However, he does want to meet everyone and bring them a toy to share.  The rules really do not change when we have guests as everyone knows we have him.   We are more cautious when elderly people are around as he can lean on people to get there attention or when he wanders around can buckle your knees as he tries to sneak by you.   

People also have to be aware of drool, especially when he drinks water.   If he shakes his head, it can go anywhere..........
If you take everything I’ve accomplished in my life and condense it down to one day, it looks decent! George Costanza
Thanks given by:
My dog lives here, my guests do not and therefore if there is an issue you can guess which one can leave.

That being said, my pup has a lot of energy and I am very mindful of that, so if he starts acting like a jerk and won't leave someone alone he is kicked outside to run some laps.
Thanks given by: Nanuuk , Bong13
(2019-04-17, 09:04 AM)FanOfHabs Wrote:   However, he does want to meet everyone and bring them a toy to share. 

My dog does the same, after a head rub he usually brings a toy to try to get them to play. That's when I'll tell him to leave the people alone as they're usually over to meet my folks. After that he'll be pouty and sit in plain view being a drama queen
Thanks given by:
I was surprised when we had guests over to see my wife feed the dog scraps off her dinner plate at the table. Then again I don't get allowed at the table that much, maybe it's routine with them.
Thanks given by: