Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
starting to see how much crap there is out there on TV, the news, social media
ok.

I am this close (picture me holding my hand up showing a half inch apart with two fingers) to completely shutting myself off from newspapers, news websites, social media (aka Twitter, and others) TV shows etc.

so much garbage, brainwashing, pettiness, narcissism, western influencing and so on out there...

I am missing out on what truly is important!

self improvement, family, love, nature, travel, 

real things.

I have worked on Self improvement, almost there

I have found Love

wanting a family

really want to focus on things like doing things I enjoy with people I love, care about.  not sitting in front of a TV or my computer, phone, watching so much crap and ugliness.

I'm just sick of all the BS out there.
cfl
Thanks given by:
I'm confident that in the course of my recovery, which remains a daily thing even 7 years clean, I have done huge amount of active self improvement as compared to most, I actively spend time in nature in the nice weather months (lots of hiking in the mountains), I spend ample time with my wife (family) and travel is an absolute priority. At the same time I spend a ton of time on social media, reading the news and watching TV.

Maybe what you need to work on is time management?

You realize that you can control the content of the social media, right?

Also, do you realize that you complained about the content of social media and not wanting to be stuck stating at a computer or phone while stating at a computer (or phone)?
Thanks given by: TheOilerFan83
Careful CFL,   I have a friend who sounds like you & he's now a full blown conspiracy theory guy

Don't turn into conspiracy theory guy
Thanks given by: Highstyx
CFL, no idea what happened that made you feel this way but a reminder that you have a lot of power and control on blocking stuff you don't find healthy. Sometimes we need that reaffirmed, but you have every ability to control what news you get, filter your social media, even what you see on TV.

My bro and I have a bunch of stuff on our phones that let us get rid of ads since we don't find them useful at all. Our TV habits are sports or netflix/Amazon Prime and news sources require us to go out and actively find stuff we want to know about. You can do the same, don't let anything stop you from doing that. Even if its on this site (technically social media), you get to choose who you interact with and how you respond to situations
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
I'm just starting to realize there is soooooo much more to life than caring about people and things that couldnt give a rat's ass about you in return.

Sports doesnt care about you
TV doesnt care about you
The news doesnt care about you
Social media sure as hell doesnt care..

I love an amazing woman who in return loves me too!

That's what I care about!
cfl
Thanks given by:
Can't speak for anyone else but I'm very happy that you have found love and are happy but I would highly recommend that you ensure that your girlfriend is a party of your life as opposed to becoming your life and I fear that you are already past that threshold. You need to be your own person apart from her.
Thanks given by:
Then turn it off, I don’t think anybody really gives a shit.

Why does entertainment need to”care about you” ? that the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
Thanks given by: Beerisfood , Beerisfood , Fritz , Fritz
(2019-05-16, 12:43 AM)cflisthebest Wrote: I'm just starting to realize there is soooooo much more to life than caring about people and things that couldnt give a rat's ass about you in return.

TV doesnt care about you

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. That's the foundation for an unhealthy relationshop

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!
Thanks given by:
Not sure what's so bad about the original post. If friends are included in the people he cares about, I think it's fine.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
It's never a bad idea to 'unplug' for awhile.

Stay off TV (television, not the suspended RATW poster), internet, etc for a few days. I find when I do (not often enough) I don't miss it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
There is no doubt whatsoever that social media is completely toxic garbage.

I had this biology prof who would go on a similar rant and say, the real world is out there, in nature, what I'm teaching you, not in your phones and texting etc. I agree completely.
Thanks given by:
More than 2 years since I ditched Facebook. I do not miss it.

(I stopped visiting and deleted my bookmarks. I did not close my account because I still needed to use Messenger for my volleyball team, it's the only way they communicate. Plus I don't believe deleting my account actually accomplishes anything. Nothing gets truly deleted.)

That said, I don't see the point in observing that "TV doesn't care about you". It's a broadcasting medium.
Thanks given by:
Read more.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-16, 12:43 AM)cflisthebest Wrote: I'm just starting to realize there is soooooo  much more to life than caring about people and things that couldnt give a rat's ass about you in return.

TV doesnt care about you

As an Oiler's fan I am already well aware of that.
Liberty And Justice For Most.
Thanks given by: Captain aHab , TheOilerFan83
(2019-05-16, 05:00 AM)Bong13 Wrote: Then turn it off, I don’t think anybody really gives a shit.

Why does entertainment need to”care about you” ? that the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

coming from you I'm not surprised.
cfl
Thanks given by:
Whatever you find joy in doing, do that more. Pretty simple. There’s nothing wrong with watching sports, movies, reality TV, etc. so long as your priorities are straight.
Thanks given by: Mavid
(2019-05-16, 02:30 AM)Pouzar Wrote: Can't speak for anyone else but I'm very happy that you have found love and are happy but I would highly recommend that you ensure that your girlfriend is a party of your life as opposed to becoming your life and I fear that you are already past that threshold.  You need to be your own person apart from her.

oh dont get me wrong..  

things aren't like that at all.  I'm just realizing more and more that there's so much out there that isn't Important to me that I thought really was...  and at the same time there is so much more out there I am missing out on..
cfl
Thanks given by: Captain aHab
(2019-05-16, 08:21 AM)encore Wrote: Whatever you find joy in doing, do that more. Pretty simple. There’s nothing wrong with watching sports, movies, reality TV, etc. so long as your priorities are straight.

Yup.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
Balance in all things.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-16, 01:52 PM)New Wrote: Balance in all things.

Especially the Force.
Liberty And Justice For Most.
Thanks given by: