Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
swept by the Rays
great start by Happ...but offense couldn't do anything...Rays just walked it off with 2 outs in the 9th...1-0 final.

after sweeping the O's...got swept by the Rays (who HAD been playing horrible coming into the series)

things don't get easier..with the Nats coming to town for the weekend...Braves, Angels, and Astros after that.
Thanks given by:
Too bad they can't play 162 games against the Orioles. That's the only team they can beat.

I'm going to all 4 games in Anaheim next week. I'm considering leaving my Jays jersey at home so the Angel fans don't laugh at me.
Thanks given by:
The Jays just got swept by a team with no starting pitchers lol.
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 08:58 PM)shadylane Wrote: The Jays just got swept by a team with no starting pitchers lol.

its an interesting concept the Rays are going with...and it seems to have merit.

relievers to start the game...starters come in for the middle innings...go through the lineup a couple more times...get through another reliever maybe, before getting to a closer.

it makes it harder to get a read on pitchers, you aren't facing one guy 3 times.   Instead of a starter tiring the 3rd time through a lineup, and maybe being kept in too long and blowing things, the starter is pitching innings 3-7 or 8, before handing off to the bullpen again.
Thanks given by:
Oh I totally get the concept of it, and I think in theory it has merit. If you bring in a reliever in an 8th inning matchup situation, why not do it in the 1st inning? If you have players who are receptive and will adapt, I love the idea of trying new things.

My off the cuff comment was speaking more to the fact that the Rays are essentially throwing things at a wall and seeing what sticks. And let's be honest, they punted the season a while ago. They traded their franchise player and their second best starter in the offseason. Then more recently their closer.

And now, their best pitcher, star centre fielder, starting second baseman and starting shortstop are all hurt. And they have no starting rotation. And the Jays still couldn’t win a game. This is a low point lol.
Thanks given by:
With the teams they are about to face...it's about to get lower Happy or is that Sad Silly
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-14, 02:20 AM)shadylane Wrote: Oh I totally get the concept of it, and I think in theory it has merit. If you bring in a reliever in an 8th inning matchup situation, why not do it in the 1st inning? If you have players who are receptive and will adapt, I love the idea of trying new things.

The funny thing is that its not even a new idea really. I remember Lou Pinella talking about this strategy back when he was managing the Rays (dont remember if he went through with it) because his bullpen kept blowing late leads and that was damn near 20 years ago, haha.

That was the first time I ever heard the idea and I never could quite figure out why no one had actually tried it, for real, in the years since.
Thanks given by: