Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the "Back Slide" - work edition
Anyone ever gone back to a job or company they left?

I moved country and company a year ago.  Not digging the new company.  The new country has good and bad parts.  My old office has asked me to come back to the old office and old country, I think that's a no, but there is possibility in the future to join old office in my current country.  I also used to work for my old company here about 8 years ago.

Anyone ever gone back to an old office or company?
Any thoughts, experiences?
Thanks given by:
I haven't done it, however, my old firm (where I spent 14 years) has reached out to me and they are one of the firms I have been "talking to" recently.

Personally, I would have no issues heading back if I think its the right fit for me and the reasons I left in the first place (regarding direction and certain types of clients being focused on) were no longer in play.

Caveat: I am NOT looking for a change but have no problem "talking" when firms and head hunters reach out.

If the reasons for leaving within the company (i.e. not the external geographical reasons) are still there, it may not be the right fit but, after a few years, there may be changes for the better in that regard.
Thanks given by:
Just quit a company that I have worked for for 11 years (I am writing this at work for them as I gave 3 months notice). At this stage I would definitely go back if the right job was here. I haven't burnt bridges as do acknowledge grass isn't always greener on other side.
Thanks given by:
I've thought about it, but the geography of it wouldn't make sense.
Humboldt Broncos SJHL April 6, 2018
Thanks given by:
I have, was in one role when I left, very front end. And about a year later after I had gained some bigger company (same industry) experience they poached me, significant raise, and other perks included. I only left the company because they had hired someone I didn't feel was good for a role and he was my supervisor at the time. I was brought back in that role where I lasted until I outsourced my job...
Thanks given by:
I was in a non-permanent gov't position that kept getting renewed year by year with promises of it being made permanent. But after a few years like that, I took matters into my own hands and won a competition for another gov't position in a different dept. It was awful. Manager was psycho and the work was not at all what was described.

About a month after starting that new job, I saw my old job posted for the permanent spot, so I called up my old manager and brought it up. She said she was going to ask me to be on the interview committee and I told her thats probably not appropriate since I plan on applying for it heh. A few weeks later they deployed me back into my old spot. Grass is not always greener. I got lucky that was able to easily parachute out of that terrible position.
Thanks given by:
Ya it’s really all about people. I’m just not into the people in this new organization. Both the people I report to and the people who report to me.

My old office had lots of drama as well but I seemed to get along better with more people there. It was a much bigger office as well so you could just avoid the ones you didn’t like which you can’t do here.
Thanks given by:
I took a managerial position that didn’t really work out for me...I didn’t really enjoy a lot of the extra responsibilities and it took away from a lot of the gratification that I once got in my previous role. And after some time had passed I was able to step back down into the role I once had and now that role has grown and developed into something that better suits my strengths and keeps me challenged and with progression can top the managerial bump that I once had.

One might say that it was part failure on my part but this wasn’t for lack of effort. I’d also suggest that I learned more with this experiment or experience, as it was enlightening to the path I wanted to blaze.  I even had to turn down a similar re-offered position a few years later as I believed I was better utilized in my role that I wanted to create. I even discussed this option with my managerial team to persuade them to give me more opportunities for growth and lean on my strengths to aid our company growth.
Thanks given by: