Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
your top 3 players of all time
Hasek was so amazing to watch. One of my favourite players ever.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-14, 08:52 AM)Chip Wrote: Hasek was so amazing to watch. One of my favourite players ever.

I felt the opposite about him.

perhaps if he was on my team, I would feel different, but as an opponent, his flipping, flopping acrobatics, while obviously getting the job done, always bugged me about him.

you would never coach a player to play like Hasek did.

you don't have an entire career that he had being "lucky"...but it certainly felt that way watching him.

I would take Brodeur, or Roy, every day, over Hasek. (saying that, I just listed the top 3 goalies ever)
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-14, 08:52 AM)Chip Wrote: Hasek was so amazing to watch. One of my favourite players ever.

I honestly think he was underrated. 

Brodeur/Roy are consistently referred to as among the best of all time, and yet Hasek won the Vezina in 6/8 years from 1994-2001, overlapping with both Roy/Brodeur while they were in their primes.

Hasek's career save % (0.922) is also head and shoulders above both of them (0.912/0.910). It would be like a goalie today having a 0.935 career save % (i.e. 10%+ points above the other top goalies).
Thanks given by: Ryu65
(2019-01-14, 10:30 AM)tmleafer Wrote:

I honestly think he was underrated. 

Brodeur/Roy are consistently referred to as among the best of all time, and yet Hasek won the Vezina in 6/8 years from 1994-2001, overlapping with both Roy/Brodeur while they were in their primes.

Hasek's career save % (0.922) is also head and shoulders above both of them (0.912/0.910). It would be like a goalie today having a 0.935 career save % (i.e. 10%+ points above the other top goalies).

100%. I think he’s often overlooked due to the teams he played on. Brodeur had one of the best defensive systems ever constructed to help him out.

Hasek imo is the best goalie to ever play the game. He routinely won games seemingly singlehandedly, just ask team canada.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
Hasek would have been my favourite goalie ever, if he didn't dive to draw penalties. It was just so disgraceful and embarrassing. He wasn't even subtle or clever about it. he would wipe out if a teammate skated near him. ***** punk.
Thanks given by:
Hasek is my favourite goalie of all time. I consider him better than Brodeur and Roy but I'm super biased cuz of his one season in Ottawa. He had a .925 save percentage in the 40ish games he played in Ottawa and had he not got injured he might have made the collapse against Buffalo be a 7 game series instead of a 5 game embarrassment.

He didn't have to flop around cuz the Sens had an amazing dcore at the time but he was phenomenal for an aging tender. Would've stayed in Ottawa for a pay cut but the organization felt Emery was good enough Sad Wish i was old enough to see Hasek in his prime
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
My only qualm with Hasek was his propensity to lift the post off the mooring and move the net clear if sh!t was hitting the fan. I always thought that was pretty cheap of him to do - and yet he got away with it so very often.

Phenomenal goaltender though, my own goaltending style is a lot like his. (Which means I either sucked or got REAL lucky a lot. lol)
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 11:32 PM)ZappaScores Wrote:
(2019-01-12, 10:15 PM)Gerry Pigeon Wrote: Is Bossy recognized as the greatest goal scorer?  I don't think so.

But he should be, IMO.

He wasn't even the greatest goal scorer of his era. 

He gets referred to "the greatest pure goal scorer" because it was his obvious strength. Gretzky "the playmaker" was a better goal-scorer in every conceivable way. 

In his first 10 seasons, ages 21 - 30, Bossy scored 573 goals. 

In Gretzky's first 10 seasons, he scored 637 goals. 
From ages 21 - 30, Gretzky scored 609 goals. 
While they were in the league together, Bossy scored 451 goal; almost 100 behind Gretzky's 543. 
Bossy lead the league in goals twice and only once while Gretzky was in the league. Gretzky lead 5 times, all while Bossy was active. 
Bossy's season high (69) would be Gretzky's 5th highest single season total. 

Bossy was great, to be sure, but he wasn't The Great One.

I don't think anyone compares favorably to Gretzky so IMO that was a pointless exercise...

Kurri scored 474 goals in his 1st 10 seasons playing with Gretzky for 8 of them.  Bossy scored a 100 more goals during that time...

Other comparisons for 1st 10 seasons
Lemieux 477 Goals
Hull 528 Goals
Ovechkin 475 goals...
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure what you're point is. No one is saying Kurri was the greatest pure goal scorer of all-time. How can Bossy be the "best pure goal scorer" of all time, when he wasn't even the best in his era?
Thanks given by:
I always find ‘best pure ________’ to be a bit of a backhanded compliment.

Sure, he wasn’t the most prolific, but of all the guys who were good at only one thing, he was the best.
Thanks given by:
Jagr deserves to be in this thread. Just because.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-15, 12:54 PM)Sasquatch Wrote: Jagr deserves to be in this thread. Just because.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Jagr is a tough one, I don't think he's top 3. My logic/reasoning, I look at the best team he played for, that's gotta be the Penguins right? And where does he rate all time in terms of "greatest" on that team.

He's #3 at best IMO, both Sid and Mario are ahead of him, at least that's my take.

God though, you think back to what he's done in his career, he really is amazing and fair to at least drop his name in here are an "honourable mention"
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-30, 09:23 PM)tm123 Wrote: Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr

This
Thanks given by:
My favorite goalie of all time is Marty Brodeur

Fav D is Robinson. Runner up is Scott Stevens

Fav Fw'd is up for grabs. I love Stan Smyl's total 'game with hate.'  So many to pick: Brian Sutter, Gilmour, Gordy Howe, HENDERSON for his goal against the Commies.

Everyone hated Dale Hunter, but he would be mynumber one choice for third line C with attitude... and I loved big bad Probert = One reason Yzerman had so few injuries

Gilmour was so damned fiesty, and he played at 160-165. He forgot that he was just a wirey little shrimp.. and 32g plus 95 A on a tidbit over .500 Leafs team is an accomplishment

and yes, I know, I change this from time to time... and my fav players aren't necessarily Stat killers, just the kind you win with
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-14, 09:27 AM)Chris D Wrote:

I felt the opposite about him.

perhaps if he was on my team, I would feel different, but as an opponent, his flipping, flopping acrobatics, while obviously getting the job done, always bugged me about him.

you would never coach a player to play like Hasek did.

you don't have an entire career that he had being "lucky"...but it certainly felt that way watching him.

I would take Brodeur, or Roy, every day, over Hasek.  (saying that, I just listed the top 3 goalies ever)

Just my nickel's worth. Top 3 goalies in NHL History: Brodeur, Sawchuck, and as much as I dislike him; Patrik Roy

Sawchuck would be pissed if his team won 2-1, because he let in a goal. . and I forget his best numbers, but he was over 91%, and I think 93% in one season,  and played pretty much every damned game.. maybe missed 2 a season  NO MASK!!! and Bobby Hull shot the puck harder than anyone since then

Hasek was a d-nk
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:
Of guys I saw play a ton...

Gretzky
Mario
McDavid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks given by: