Roughing After The Whistle Discussion Boards
Rumour: So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? - Printable Version

+- Roughing After The Whistle Discussion Boards (https://www.roughingafterthewhistle.com)
+-- Forum: Hockey (https://www.roughingafterthewhistle.com/Forum-Hockey)
+--- Forum: Montreal Canadiens (https://www.roughingafterthewhistle.com/Forum-Montreal-Canadiens)
+--- Thread: Rumour: So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? (/Thread-Rumour-So-How-Much-of-the-NBA-finals-did-you-watch)

Pages: 1 2 3

So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? - Cal - 2019-06-14

I'm not a basketball fan, so I didn't watch any of it. I did read that over 13 million Canadians were supposed to have watched, especially the last 2 games.
Frankly, when I consider that the game was only available through SportsNet and not an OTA (over the air) transmission, I find that number to be greatly exaggerated.
I read last week that TSN was "breaking records" with viewership of 3 to 3.5 million viewers.
What say you? Did you watch?

RE: So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? - Captain aHab - 2019-06-14

One game and parts of another. None last night.

RE: So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? - Strummer - 2019-06-14

(2019-06-14, 09:07 AM)Cal Wrote: I'm not a basketball fan, so I didn't watch any of it. I did read that over 13 million Canadians were supposed to have watched, especially the last 2 games.
Frankly, when I consider that the game was only available through SportsNet and not an OTA (over the air) transmission, I find that number to be greatly exaggerated.
I read last week that TSN was "breaking records" with viewership of 3 to 3.5 million viewers.
I watched all or part of all six games.

Game 5 numbers from the Toronto Sun:

"It had a combined average audience of 6.9 million viewers across simulcast coverage on Sportsnet, CityTV, ABC (in Canada) and RDS. Over 14.5 millions people watched all or part of Game 5 in Canada."

https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/toronto-raptors/have-a-little-faith-raptors-fans

Game 6 will break that for sure.

On ABC in the U.S. it drew 18.22 million viewers. (source: TV by the numbers)

RE: So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? - krob1000 - 2019-06-14

All of it....every single minute.....why wouldn't anyone? This was a monumental achievement and a championship with so many truly compelling storylines....if you missed out I am sorry because you missed one hell of a ride. Kawhi is awesome but so many guys had huge games throughout.

Some story lines for those who missed
1. Not a single lottery pick on entire team
2. Nick Nurse, coach first year as head coach
3. Demar Derozan for Kawhi potential rental trade....huge gambel by GM...then he upped it and traded their 2016 9th overall and others fro Marc Gasol...talk about all in
4. Lowry (Derozan was best friend)...been long serving Raptor part of all of the abd...highly respected in NBA yet always took flak when tings went wrong.
5. Pascal Siakim-Cameroon born player...comes out of nowhere and Raps take him 27th overall in 2016...EVERYONE questions pick...he plays in D league (AHL equiv), puts in ridiculous amount of work...wants to play for his Dad who passed away and always dreamed of one of his boys playing in NBA...will win Most Improved player in NBA this year.BONUS POINTS>>>SPEAKS FRENCH.
6. Fred Vanvleet-Undrafted palyer Rpas sing in 2016, lef NCAA team to Final Four ..>Raps take chance on him....has his ups and downs but steadily improving all the time...was struggling hard through playoffs in early rounds...then has a son...somehow turns it arund...I mean really around...to the point he was only player other than Kawhi who earned an MVP vote...clutch time and time again in last two rounds after birth of son.
7. Kawhi-feell like tis is the one everyone kows about...
8. Marc Gasol...borther Pao is multi time champion, lesser known brother...big man revered for his selflessness and compete level...was key cog in team as he is unbelievable passer for a big man...his acquisition changed the dynamic and meant Raps were nearly impossible to defend, get the ball inside and he could still find any other Raptor on the court.
9. Danny Green-came over in Kawhi trade...key cog through season, one of best 3 pt shooters in league...struggled all playoff...but was key factor in a key game when he nailed six 3 pointers.
10. 1993.....Canada championship starved....game now come full circle, Canadian invented the sport...and first NBA game was in Toronto.

It was truly a magical run....one that will go down in Canadian history....so many trademark moments...unbelievable and while Canada's loyalties are heavily divided in hockey...pretty well the whole country was behind the Raps...not unlike the Jays in 93....I understand that at that time Montreal had an MLB team so perhaps they are only area of country that was not fully on board with ride...but this one....was legendary....

RE: So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? - habs001 - 2019-06-14

(2019-06-14, 10:23 AM)krob1000 Wrote: All of it....every single minute.....why wouldn't anyone? This was a monumental achievement and a championship with so many truly compelling storylines....if you missed out I am sorry because you missed one hell of a ride. Kawhi is awesome but so many guys had huge games throughout.

Some story lines for those who missed
1. Not a single lottery pick on entire team
2. Nick Nurse, coach first year as head coach
3. Demar Derozan for Kawhi potential rental trade....huge gambel by GM...then he upped it and traded their 2016 9th overall and others fro Marc Gasol...talk about all in
4. Lowry (Derozan was best friend)...been long serving Raptor part of all of the abd...highly respected in NBA yet always took flak when tings went wrong.
5. Pascal Siakim-Cameroon born player...comes out of nowhere and Raps take him 27th overall in 2016...EVERYONE questions pick...he plays in D league (AHL equiv), puts in ridiculous amount of work...wants to play for his Dad who passed away and always dreamed of one of his boys playing in NBA...will win Most Improved player in NBA this year.BONUS POINTS>>>SPEAKS FRENCH.
6. Fred Vanvleet-Undrafted palyer Rpas sing in 2016, lef NCAA team to Final Four ..>Raps take chance on him....has his ups and downs but steadily improving all the time...was struggling hard through playoffs in early rounds...then has a son...somehow turns it arund...I mean really around...to the point he was only player other than Kawhi who earned an MVP vote...clutch time and time again in last two rounds after birth of son.
7. Kawhi-feell like tis is the one everyone kows about...
8. Marc Gasol...borther Pao is multi time champion, lesser known brother...big man revered for his selflessness and compete level...was key cog in team as he is unbelievable passer for a big man...his acquisition changed the dynamic and meant Raps were nearly impossible to defend, get the ball inside and he could still find any other Raptor on the court.
9. Danny Green-came over in Kawhi trade...key cog through season, one of best 3 pt shooters in league...struggled all playoff...but was key factor in a key game when he nailed six   3 pointers.
10. 1993.....Canada championship starved....game now come full circle, Canadian invented the sport...and first NBA game was in Toronto.

It was truly a magical run....one that will go down in Canadian history....so many trademark moments...unbelievable and while Canada's loyalties are heavily divided in hockey...pretty well the whole country was behind the Raps...not unlike the Jays  in 93....I understand that at that time Montreal had an MLB team so perhaps they are only area of country that was not fully on board with ride...but this one....was legendary....
But but having a child at the time was the reason given by posters that Price played poorly...Not to take anything away from the Raptors as they beat some very good teams but I still think a fully healthy Warrior team would have won the series.

RE: So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? - johnnylarue - 2019-06-14

I watched all of it. Great series, high drama, great sport.

And not to dwell on the differences, but it was very cool to see the Warriors give congratulatory hugs to their opponents the moment the final buzzer sounded, in stark contrast to the awkward scene at the end of the Stanley Cup Finals wherein the victors celebrate for 5-10 minutes at one end of the ice while the losers watch dejectedly waiting for an awkward handshake line to form...

No need to get into the many reasons for these cultural differences—it’s just nice to see is all.

Less nice? The commissioner hands the trophy to the OWNERS first, who then pass it on to the players. WTF is that!?

(2019-06-14, 12:55 PM)johnnylarue Wrote: I watched all of it. Great series, high drama, great sport.

And not to dwell on the differences, but it was very cool to see the Warriors give congratulatory hugs to their opponents the moment the final buzzer sounded, in stark contrast to the awkward scene at the end of the Stanley Cup Finals wherein the victors celebrate for 5-10 minutes at one end of the ice while the losers watch dejectedly waiting for an awkward handshake line to form...

No need to get into the many reasons for these cultural differences—it’s just nice to see is all.

Less nice? The commissioner hands the trophy to the OWNERS first, who then pass it on to the players. WTF is that!?
Word

RE: So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? - krob1000 - 2019-06-14

(2019-06-14, 01:09 PM)Strummer Wrote:
(2019-06-14, 12:55 PM)johnnylarue Wrote: I watched all of it. Great series, high drama, great sport.

Word
I had two issues with last night.....one was the MLSE guy celebrating like he was a player who hit the buzzer beater to win it....the other was that reporter asking Leonard about his Free Agency plans and Kyle Lowry about Derozan minutes after they won the Championship?

RE: So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? - Limestoner - 2019-06-14

I watched parts of every game in the finals and all of 3 of them. The first three rounds was a bit more sporadic than that.

(2019-06-14, 01:11 PM)krob1000 Wrote:

Word
I had two issues with last night.....one was the MLSE guy celebrating like he was a player who hit the buzzer beater to win it....the other was that reporter asking Leonard about his Free Agency plans and Kyle Lowry about Derozan minutes after they won the Championship?
Yeah- Larry Tannenbaum- what a tool!
And that reporter- Doris Burke annoying nasal voice with those god-awful questions- cringe-worthy!

RE: So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? - Haba-daba-do - 2019-06-14

All of it. I live in GTA now and its the only team that I feel like I can truly cheer for as a Montrealer. I will cheer for Jays now, but my heart still belong to The Expos. Plus I have a teen who loves the Raps (hates the Leafs) so its nice to see him being able to celebrate with sports fans in the city he was born

We were on a Meditterenean cruise for all of round 3...so game was on like at 2 or 3 am start...we would leave the TV on all night in case we woke up for a moment, we would check the score (yes game was on cruise ship tv)

Gave my kid permission to go to the parade, as the only Habs one I got to see live was As a teen for the 86 cup win and its still a great memory for me

Btw anyone catch the Raps Prez talking with TSN guys. Talking about how they got to the championship...and he spoke about LUCK and how much luck goes into winning after u have done all u can with the rosters, and u r leaving it to the players...they also need luck or u don't win.

Maybe MB isnt all wrong when he says just get into playoffs and anything can happen.

(2019-06-14, 09:53 AM)Strummer Wrote:
(2019-06-14, 09:07 AM)Cal Wrote: I'm not a basketball fan, so I didn't watch any of it. I did read that over 13 million Canadians were supposed to have watched, especially the last 2 games.
I watched all or part of all six games.

Game 5 numbers from the Toronto Sun:

"It had a combined average audience of 6.9 million viewers across simulcast coverage on Sportsnet, CityTV, ABC (in Canada) and RDS. Over 14.5 millions people watched all or part of Game 5 in Canada."

https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/toronto-raptors/have-a-little-faith-raptors-fans

Game 6 will break that for sure.

On ABC in the U.S. it drew 18.22 million viewers. (source: TV by the numbers)

Well if u didnt have SN it was on ABC (most with cable have that. Channel) plus I did notice it was in CityTV (def the last 2 games, didnt notice/look at tv guide the other 3 games)

(2019-06-14, 01:11 PM)krob1000 Wrote:

Word

yuyes I was yelling at the tv saying ..mlse dude give it to a player already (altho that my have been my mlse hater speaking)

Oh my that lady on stage was just brutal. Could they not find a better reporter? One that looked like she was interested in being there?

RE: So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? - dynasty 56-79 - 2019-06-14

Sorry, this isn't anything about patriotism. Just opportune marketing.

Rogers has cleverly used the patriotic narrative to equate Toronto teams as representing all of Canada in basketball and baseball. Why do you think there are exhibition games in other Canadian cities?

Do you think they'd welcome back competition in baseball from Montreal or basketball in Vancouver? There was hardly benign feel good solidarity when they were competing for market loyalty.

How many Raptor players embrace Canadian culture and lifestyle year round? All mercenaries who get out of town when work is over. Not a condemnation, but just a reality in all sports.

Sports loyalty goes beyond borders for a plethora of reasons.

And this isn't an Olympic or national team scenario.

It's all about the money and media saturation.

And if you are looking for 'Canadian content' is sports, the Blues were much more representative than the Raptors.

(2019-06-14, 01:55 PM)dynasty 56-79 Wrote: Sorry, this isn't anything about patriotism. Just opportune marketing.

Rogers has cleverly used the patriotic narrative to equate Toronto teams as representing all of Canada in basketball and baseball. Why do you think there are exhibition games in other Canadian cities?

Do you think they'd welcome back competition in baseball from Montreal or basketball in Vancouver? There was hardly benign feel good solidarity when they were competing for market loyalty.

How many Raptor players embrace Canadian culture and lifestyle year round? All mercenaries who get out of town when work is over. Not a condemnation, but just a reality in all sports.

Sports loyalty goes beyond borders for a plethora of reasons.

And this isn't an Olympic or national team scenario.

It's all about the money and media saturation.

Lol of course its all about money. Does any fan think any decision is made for the fans?

Yesterday it was raining in TO. There was talk of opening the ACC for the fans instead of being in the rain. End of it...nope it stayed closed. Why? Cost too much to open and staff it when no consessions open. Its never about the fans.

But if u r a sports fan, and there is only 1 team in all of Canada then why not be a fan? U dont need to jump on bandwagon. But if U r going to cheer for an NBA team why not the Canadian one. We r fans of tennis or golf players nation wide, not just the city they were born?

RE: So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? - New - 2019-06-14

I watched bits and pieces. It is a game I enjoyed playing but was never comfortable watching. 

Honestly I watched more of the fan interviews. It was so nice to see Canadians and Americans all pulling together on something. Every day some special interest group or politician is out there dividing us. Yelling that if I don't agree with their opinion then I'm not Canadian. Just plain refreshing to see everyone getting along and sharing a common experience.

RE: So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? - Limestoner - 2019-06-14

(2019-06-14, 01:55 PM)dynasty 56-79 Wrote: Sorry, this isn't anything about patriotism. Just opportune marketing.

Rogers has cleverly used the patriotic narrative to equate Toronto teams as representing all of Canada in basketball and baseball.

Nonsense.

It happens by default. Just like it did when the Expos were Canada's only baseball team.

Sure they will market that reality but marketing did not create it.

RE: So, How Much of the NBA finals did you watch? - Leb7 - 2019-06-14

Between the Matlock marathon and Murder she wrote, too much excitement for me. Didn’t watch a single minute of that crap sport.
Bring the Expos back!

(2019-06-14, 05:08 PM)Leb7 Wrote: Between the Matlock marathon and Murder she wrote, too much excitement for me. Didn’t watch a single minute of that crap sport.
Bring the Expos back!

Matlock, Murder She Wrote, Expos!

"Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989"